Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by craves1 View Post
I loaded it with 3.7G of music files trough the USB connection to the 770 and it took 110 minutes.
By the way, wifi is faster than USB on Nokia 770 when using an updated 'highspeed' wlan driver (peak wlan data transfer can reach ~1.3MB/s and exceed the theoretical USB 1.x speed limit). More details about improving the speed of data transfer to Nokia 770 can be found in the following thread: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=12787

Here is a direct link to the wlan driver usage instructions: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...6&postcount=19

Last edited by Serge; 2008-03-11 at 16:44. Reason: Added a direct link to the information about wlan driver

The Following User Says Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
Interesting thread. I became aware of the Nokia 770 early, the reason I never bought it was mainly due to it using RS-MMC instead of SD. But if I had ended up buying it (probably would, eventually, if the N800 hadn't arrived) then this solution looks like it could be just what the doctor ordered.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Thanks

I will look into wifi tarnsfer but it is also easy to use a USB SD card reader for faster transfers.

craves1

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
That's nonsense. The reason why SD standard goes only to 2GB is limitation of FAT16 filesystem, ..
Just fyi, old knowledge and off topic:Under win9x FAT16 could only be 2gb , but FAT16 can adress 4GB (works under windows NT/2000 for example, there "FAT" means FAT16)

files can only be 2gb big on fat16.
Don't take my word for it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310561/

why care? In the old day's when 4gb was really really expensive you could use a 4gb Cf card more efficient for big files under fat16 then under fat32 (= store more files) for example for digital camera's who write RAW files why are a few MB or more each.

The Following User Says Thank You to polossatik For This Useful Post:
Progress Report:

Today I tested the 8G SDHC cards conversion kit on a Sandisk 8G card. I loaded 7.23 GB of audio files and played them with the built-in media player and UKMP Dark. The total available memory is 7.6 GB. The audio files so far are playing fine.
A few times before I rebooted UKMP shut down with certain songs but now all are working fine. I will test it over the next few days and see what happens.

This brings me closer to my goal of making it a more useable media player by increasing the memory capacity that can be easily installed. With two 8GB cards I can now easily carry 16GB with me.

The current conversion solution requires me to solder the cards in the conversion kit but we have also worked out a way around this. So far the only way to keep it cheap is to solder the cards which will void the warranty of the card.
Considering the great advantage this gives to the additional usefulness of the N770 I am willing to do this but I am unsure about everybody else. 8GB Micro SDHC cards are or will be soon under $70.00 each.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820171320

Another thing I am noticing since I have a N800 with 32GB that use for work is the sound on the N770 compared to the N800.
I Like the N770 better using the same pair of SENNHEISER PX100 headphones to test with.

I am working to make the Soldering version of the conversion kit available this Friday to whoever is interested.

Left to do:
1: Test on the N770 with OS2006 installed.

2: Work out the speed issue for copying files from a computer to the N770

3: Find out why a Windows XP computer mounts the card as a USB hard drive instead as a removable drive.
This bothers me because; this does not happen if the card is in a reader.
The problem with it being treated like a hard drive is Windows Monitor’s it with SYSTEM RESTORE and place a recycle bin on it if you delete anything.

craves1

After checking several MMC cards on three different Windows XP computers it seems that when I connect the N770 trough the USB it is mounted as a Local Disk.

I tried this with the 64MB and 2GB none SDHC cards on 3 computers with 2 Different 770's.

One N770 was flashed with the SDHC support Kernel and the other was not. One was running OS2007HE the other OS2006

I get the same results on both.

Can anyone verify this for me?

Thanks

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by craves1 View Post
After checking several MMC cards on three different Windows XP computers it seems that when I connect the N770 trough the USB it is mounted as a Local Disk.
Yes, same result here, local disk. 2GB card, system restore disabled, deleted something and I don't see recycle bin so the behavior is same like removable drive for me.

Looks like you need to add flag named removable when inserting
g_file_storage module. See http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.16/dr...file_storage.c for parameters. Tried to modify /usr/sbin/osso-usb-mass-storage-enable.sh in 770 with hacker edition and added 'removable' to line
Code:
exec chroot /mnt/initfs /sbin/insmod $DIR/g_file_storage.ko stall=0 removable file=/dev/mmcblk0
and it seems to work. Not sure if there are any further gotchas (i.e. why Nokia did not set it by default).

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

fanoush

Thanks, I know if you disable system restore for this drive it will not place a recycle bin. But if you use a different card it will sometime turn on System Restore monitoring. Also when you use a different computer and System Restore is turned on then is will also monitor the n770 for deleted files and place a recycle bin on it again.

I will proceed with my project since this is not a product of my memory converter mod.

Thanks for your help
craves1

Last edited by craves1; 2008-03-15 at 22:53.

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
craves1
Have you had any luck with this process you have been playing with, I and I'm sure others are waiting for you to release your information.
I am all about more storage on my 770, if they could just fix the audio on the 08HE

Originally Posted by ericdkirk View Post
craves1
Have you had any luck with this process you have been playing with, I and I'm sure others are waiting for you to release your information.
I am all about more storage on my 770, if they could just fix the audio on the 08HE
ericdkrik

I am finished with this part of the project. I did not think many 770 user were interested in this project, judging from the posts.

Any way

I have been using my 770 all week with a memory converter based on the Sandisk 8GB Micro SDHC. I am satisfied that it works. I have not had any problems that were not already there before since I started using OS2007HE. I am still waiting on another N770 so I can completely test it with OS2006 but so far it worked with one 770 that I have without the screen working properly (No vertical scanning). It connects to a computer without any problems and shows the 8 GB card and I can read and write to it. I should have another on this week.

The read and write speed is the same as a 2 GB Kingston RSMMC 1 GB writes 2 minutes faster on the Kingston.

I have 7.3GB of music on it and many other files and so far I have not had any problems at all. I have not tested Movies at all.

If I think enough people are interested I will make some 8GB memory cards available next week based on the Sandisk 8GB MicroSDHC. This memory can only be used in the N770. It will fit in some readers but you can not attach the Full size SD adapter to it. There are some readers that allow for the RSMMC card without the full size attachment. Support for SDHC must be flashed to the N770 to use this memory conversion.

Shortly I will also make available the converter kit for those who want to make their own memory.
The memory products for the 770 will be available at www.remotefactory.com under the link hobbyist corner soon.

If anyone is interested they can post here or send a short email to chester@optonline.net this will help me to determined how much to make available.

Question: Are 4GB RSMMC cards easy to find?

craves1