Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Well, from my point of view, the video and the audio are really not an issue - as I said, I have an iPod, and it is great for that, I don't see that changing. I also have a macbook pro, so I don't need to webbrowse in the house.
The situation I have is:
I have a 770. I use it a bit, out of the house. It is quite light and easy to throw in a bag or a pocket but it is very slow, and the web browser seems to crash quite a bit.
However, I really like the hardcase, and the fact you can put the lid on and it goes to sleep - I think the n800 hardware (as in industrial design and usability rather than processing specs) is below that of the 770. Obviously happy for other people to have other opinions to that. I like 2007HE (apart from it seems to eat batteries at the moment, but at least after a reflash it works with wireless).
The money isn't that much of an issue. The new tablet would be £100 (just over $200) and I could sell my 770 on.

It is just a bit of tricky thing of whether it is so much faster that it is better to use and whether that compensates for a worse industrial design. I have used the display model in PCWorld, but there is no network there so it is hard to tell.

As to the OP, this thread is quite old and had been quiet for a while - I just thought I would post here, as it was on the same subject, and I read it first. Easier to find things that way.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Orlando, FL USA
Bottomline:
I can watch a 30 min CBS streaming on 770 while I cannot even enjoy a downloaded 30 min CBS news on the N800 or the N810.
The above are all tested under similar conditions: all freshly booted without any other program running.
All are MMC booted.....................umm, you going to ask me how about internal flash boot? have not tried yet, will post later...
Wow, isn't this thread perfectly timed. I planned on buying an n800 to replace my trusty 770 (os2006) tomorrow because Dell is selling the n800 for $200. The main reason for replacing my 770 is because I travel to Europe a lot (from the USA) and the tablet is my only pc during my travels. I was hoping that the n800 would handle video podcasts (like CBS News) better than the 770. I also liked the thought of 16GB flash memory and a webcam for gizmo video calls back home. Now I'm rethinking these advatages.

If the video playback on the n800 is worse than the 770, and the webcam is as terrible as everyone states in this forum, I'm not sure what the upsell is. After seeing all of the n800 youtube demonstrations (on youtube), I assumed that the n800 handled videos better than the 770. I have flash 9 installed on the 770 and it stops dead when I try to play youtube from within the browser. I guess that I didn't consider a comparison of mplayer playback performance between the two devices.

Does anyone have a link to a website that demonstrates the differences in mplayer performance? I don't want to drop $200 for something that doesn't sigificantly improve my tablet experience.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mattbogdan View Post
If the video playback on the n800 is worse than the 770, and the webcam is as terrible as everyone states in this forum, I'm not sure what the upsell is.
Honestly, I'm not really sure what bunanson is on about, as my experience is that the N800 is quite a bit better at video playback than the 770. Admittedly vidcasts are really a significant part of my use-case, though. Perhaps if you have some specific podcasts you're interested in we could tell you how they perform.

GA,

What's your experience with the webcam?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mattbogdan View Post
What's your experience with the webcam?
Personally, I found it to be fine for webcam usage, but not worth the trouble as a camera. It's certainly not a high-quality piece of equipment, but it's workable as a webcam. My issue is more of a lack of people who also have webcams to chat with (though I've been using it more frequently now that my sister has an N800).

I'm gonna shamelessly steal one of a certain somebody's pictures as an example: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2151/...d9b6c54a22.jpg

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-04-04 at 02:17.

Thanks. I alreaday have a pretty good digital camera for photography. Your example is shows me that it functions like 99% of all of the webcams sold. I feel that $200 burning a hole in my pocket. Dell really needs my money.