Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
sorta, smartphone sales still groing. 5 million Symbian3 devices sold. Lots of news coming in February (again some will say, but nevertheless, this time with Elop)

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...s-profits_.php

Strong is exaggeration but it isn't doing bad. I think in next two weeks all reports for whole 2010 will be in and it will be possible to compare with other companies.

yeah, but Smartphone market share is seriously donw - down to 31% globally.

So while handset sales increased, marketshare decreased.

As Elop himself put it - "In short the industry changed and Nokia needs to change fast"

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post

As Elop himself put it - "In short the industry changed and Nokia needs to change fast"
[Trolling]
Yes thats why Elop will say Nokia goers WP7 at the meeting 11 february

[/Trolling]

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-01-27 at 18:24.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post

Needless to say the market is growing faster than Nokia can increase sales, thus the negative trend in market share. I can understand why Nokia's next flagship devices (N9?) has to be a hit (i.e. surprise the market, not just keep up).

The N8 and E7 are nice, but in the marketing world we live in it's all about the numbers (RAM, processor, apps, screen size, etc..). If you don't play the game you better have something significantly different that everyone understands it's value. The N8 and E7 are good, just not ground breaking.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Nokia has become the Kia/Hyundai of cell phone manufacturers.

Excels at making cheap products, however you wouldn't want to buy anything sporty or 'fun' from them

The Following User Says Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Well nokia is one of the players that really can handle 3 OS with their huge volumes. I'm starting to believe that this might be the right way. Just not Android plz.

Last edited by Dave999; 2011-01-27 at 18:56.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
Nokia has become the Kia/Hyundai of cell phone manufacturers.

Excels at making cheap products, however you wouldn't want to buy anything sporty or 'fun' from them
hmm, like the N900?? or maybe the N8? you know that the N8 has sold mor units in the last two months last year than iPhone 4 and the 3gs combined. Not bad for a "cheapo" phone at US$ 500 a piece with an outdated OS that "no one" wants

Nokia is simply too slow, maybe they are too large to react quck enough. The N8 came 6 months too late, the E7 is still not here and any MeeGo devices? where are they? But Nokia is keeping up, they are growing in the fast expanding smartphone market, albeit slower than Android devices.

As long as they keep making phones like the N900 or N8, I really don't care how big they are, because no one else bother making phones like these phones. All the others are all the same boring "screens", except maybe Palm/HP.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
hmm, like the N900?? or maybe the N8? you know that the N8 has sold mor units in the last two months last year than iPhone 4 and the 3gs combined. Not bad for a "cheapo" phone at US$ 500 a piece with an outdated OS that "no one" wants
Wow, easy there. Source?

A quick google search told me that Nokia sold 4 million N8 units in two months after the release, which is an impressive number indeed (hats off to Nokia), but also that the iPhone 4 sold 3 units in the first month after the release. So, more than the iPhone 4 and the 3gs combined... I don't think so. But the numbers also prove that the N8 is doing good, so your point is still correct

The Following User Says Thank You to woussie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 205 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ manila, philippines
i just dont understand how a world leading mobile phone manufacturer, with way more resources ( man power, money ) and most of all, experience, is struggling to immediately come up with a better answer to IOS ever since the iphone came out. ( disputable, but sales do talk )

it just depresses me that they are wasting time and money.

The Following User Says Thank You to shockgiga For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanboy crap, go home