Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Akkumaru View Post
I still have the files if anyone wants, wonder if that's even legal though..
I know what you are referring to but those are old sources and don't contain bootloader sources hence being pretty redundant... Google for them and you will get a proper explanation for their redundancy...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I know what you are referring to but those are old sources and don't contain bootloader sources hence being pretty redundant... Google for them and you will get a proper explanation for their redundancy...
Oh i see, thanks. I never really dia anything to the files after downloading them, sorry.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Why save it?
Why withhold it? What use is it to NOKIA now?

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 235 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Finland
As a bit of an off-topic, The Verge has published a couple of weeks ago a nice article that sums up the history of Symbian. It is written by a self-expressed fanboy, but it is good reading.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/18/47...symbian-empire

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
Why withhold it? What use is it to NOKIA now?
Who says Nokia is withholding? Last I checked, it was at least once offered up as open source - for the most part. People in this thread have it.

That, my friend, is the opposite of withholding. Have at it. That's why I asked... why save it? If some enterprising soul/souls want to use it, they can. It just won't be Nokia doing so.

Last edited by gerbick; 2013-09-28 at 10:02.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Who says Nokia is withholding? Last I checked, it was at least once offered up as open source - for the most part. People in this thread have it.

That, my friend, is the opposite of withholding. Have at it. That's why I asked... why save it? If some enterprising soul/souls want to use it, they can. It just won't be Nokia doing so.
Presumably that code's from before Elop closed the Symbian Foundation down in November 2010, how about a code dump right up to the last released update?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Worldwide
i don't get it. why so much hatred for this os?

The Following User Says Thank You to Artyom For This Useful Post:
In my opinion it was the best OS and it is because it can run on any hardware
no requirements just 128mb ram and it runs smoother on it
there are also plenty of application available (more apps than n900)
There are many developers on our community too
I dream of running symbian Belle on n900...(better than android)

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
I guess they mostly just disappointed that one of those good OS has been discontinued.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to setter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
My first experience with symbian was tragic enough that I virtually didn't want to deal with it ever again. I started using N95-1 (note the -1 at the end, there's different versions apart from 8GB variant. N95-1 had less RAM than NAM version of N95) and every so often had it not been slow at times to load certain programs. The phone would simply restart without any reason.

Initially I was really lenient but my N95-1 kept getting worse, I've even updated to newer firmware which didn't really do all that much help. In the end I got very annoyed when my phone would just simply restart.

Had it not been issues with random reboot/slowdowns, installation softwares needs to be signed. Even if you disable signature checks, you could not simply install a program that has never been signed. The issue got really annoying when I wanted to install and use a program called "pynetmony". There were eight (8) python "parts" that either enabled various functionality within pynetmony or it was basically pynetmony core program itself. Those python files were never signed and I remember I had to feed all eight python files into a website back then known as opensign. Of course later on OPDF came along and had a much better solution to this whole installation signature issues.

These were the things that really ticked me off with my N95-1. Had I not persisted with getting pynetmony installed, I may lose my sanity with the phone as it simply wouldn't behave. Things changed when I was introduced to maemo platform hence N900. Since then I never looked back at N95-1. N95-1 would just give me nothing more than grief.

Tags
nokia, petition, save symbian, symbian