Installing and using Dropbear to access my 880 xterm from my PC linux (Ubuntu), I established a password. This worked fine the first time. On subsequent attempts, the password (as I remembered it) didn't work. To then gain access to my 880 root I later installed the "becomeroot" facility, and this has worked fine, with its own password. However, now I cannot access the 880 root from my PC using Dropbear with the new "becomeroot" password. My PC still doesn't recognize any pasword that I enter. Also, I cannot install "becomeroot" on my PC as a replacement for the Dropbear, as "becomeroot" is an armel.deb application, which Ibuntu will not extract and load. The bootom line is that at this stage I can't access my 880 root from my PC. Any thoughts out there. Thanks.

You really shouldn't be logging in (via SSH or whatnot) with the root account directly anyway, unless you have real reason to. However, if you can get an xterm on the 770 and can do "sudo su -" to become root, you can then just change your password there using either the command "passwd root" or "passwd user" to change your root and user passwords respectively.

You could write just "passwd" to change it but that changes for the logged in user, which could be either "user" or "root" depending on whether or not you "sudo su -":ed first, so better to spell it out which user you are trying to change the password for.

Wtf is an 880?

Sorry. I meant my Nokia 770. A senior moment!