Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Don't know if it has been posted before...

Prediction: Nokia becomes Microsofts hardware division
http://mintranet.wordpress.com/2011/...ware-division/

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
according to the main finnish newspaper, elop is quoted saying in return for adopting windows, nokia's compensation will be in the "billions". i'm sure that has been an incentive for the BOD and major stockholders.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
PradaBrada was right after all!

The good thing is that this isn't exclusive, it means that Nokia can pump out WP7 phones to turn a healthy profit and at the same time continue working on MeeGo for the future in Tablets and Phones and also continue to have Symbian on low-end devices.

They couldn't afford another smartphone failure, they've lagged in that market too long and MeeGo - the platform they would be betting the company on - is still too far off. The board (not Elop) have made the decision to save the company while there's still something worth saving and they've done it without locking themselves into an OS vendor, without having to give up projects like MeeGo but to have a business plan that can still fund them.

The Following User Says Thank You to exo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Don't have an Xbox, don't want an Xbox. Not everyone is a gamer. And not all gamers use Xbox.
Cool. You don't have to use it then. It can be like it doesn't even exist.

Don't have a Zune, don't want a Zune. Better DRM-free services are available elsewhere.
I don't have a zune anymore. I use my Windows Phone. Zune is more than a device, its a brand representing a set of services. There may be better DRM-free music stores out there, but there are no better choices in music stores or experiences than Zune. If you your taste in music is driven by which songs are DRM free, then you have no business having a taste in music.

Don't get me started on M$ reliability or security.
If you have anything intelligent to say, you should say it. Otherwise you shouldn't get started.

Also known as propaganda.
Its not propaganda. These are real developers taking the time to do this on their own. Blessed by Microsoft surely, but not controlled. I resent your offhand dismissal.

Look, I don't have time or inclination to go into more detail refuting your points and would obviously be beating my keyboard against a wall anyway. Clearly, you're Elop's kinda guy.
You'll never win if you don't fight.

I used the n900 for a year and now I've been using a Windows Phone 7.
I'm one of the few people on this forum who is actually experienced enough to offer a rational and worthwhile opinion on the current events.

That opinion is simply if your ideal phone is a mobile terminal, then no, WP7 isn't for you. Neither is a Nokia phone and neither has it EVER been.

If you're looking for a good mobile experience, you can't go wrong with Microsoft's latest offering.

The problem isn't that I'm Elop's sort of guy, which I won't deny but I can't confirm without knowing the man. The problem is that you aren't Nokia's sort of guy and never have been. You're only just figuring that out.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemon_grass View Post
in the end as a test user of pre release phones I eventually gave up as I got sick of what I saw as real errors being marked as 'as specified' or the more brutal 'ignored'.
That does sound awfully familiar...

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
with consumers like you, the future looks bright for nokia.
Who gave you my consumer feedback? On what basis are you judging?

I myself am disappointed about the death of MeeGo. Even before purchasing N900 I was excited about MeeGo. But now that Elop screwed up with MeeGo. Things can't be reverted back

I can't switch on to other brands because no other company provides the kind of hardware and customer support like Nokia

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
SGI, Novell, Nokia.

R.I.P.

Note: to understand why Nokia is in this list right now read this excellent /. post.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2011-02-14 at 04:37.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
You would be surprised but Maemo and Android have much more in common then WM. I hope you confirm Android benefits, isn't?
Android is a new smartphone OS. Maemo / MeeGo is not a smartphone OS, just like Windows, its a desktop OS recently applied for Smartphones. So it is a much matured OS compared to Android.

Android is no match for Maemo / MeeGo. But now that Nokia screwed it, I have no option but go for windows.

Sure they did bad by killing MeeGo. But I can't whine about what nokia did, but to take the positive out of WM7

Originally Posted by maverick788us View Post
I myself am disappointed about the death of MeeGo. Even before purchasing N900 I was excited about MeeGo. But now that Elop screwed up with MeeGo. Things can't be reverted back
It's hardly the death of MeeGo though, not only was MeeGo not a Nokia-only product but they have still said they will be releasing a device based on it. And Elop is just the CEO, the board are the ones who ultimately made the decision.

The Following User Says Thank You to exo For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org