Active Topics

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Hello,
first of all, I want to say that I am a big fan of Nokia, it is one of my favorite brands and I have had several Nokia phones throughout. I am following the N900 since it was announced and i want it to be my next phone (device), because it really is a great piece of hardware, but there is one big issue.

The European keyboard layout is a thing i cannot grasp. What am I talking about? The keyboard has originally 4 navigational keys (arrows), atleast in the English version layout (US/UK,etc.). Now, in Europe, in many countries (Finland, Czech, Germany, Russia, France), they have taken 2 of 4 of these crucial navigation keys and put in special characters instead (some language letters, symbols and these kind of things). You would say that it's not much of a deal? Well, if you look around the internet closely (which imho Nokia doesn't when it comes down to the keyboard), you would notice that everyone is angry about this, me probably the most. It is absolutely stupid. It only complicates things in every way and on top of that it looks inferior and ugly. When I'm writing something, when I'm playing games, etc., the keybaord becomes useless. Navigational keys are the most essential part of the keyboard, fact.

Why can't Nokia put these additional characters somewhere else, under some other keys (like i have it on my old N70)? Why Nokia has to do it this way now, when they never did it before with any device (atleast on the Czech market)? Why hasn't Nokia made a public poll over this? Or why can't they produce two versions? This is absolutely horrible from Nokia to do, most of the people don't want it. I guess Nokia realizes they are losing customers by this, right?

The problem here is, that for us who are from Europe, we have only two options:
a) get the localized version, but with only 2 arrows
b) import an english version having all 4 keys, but lose the localized diactric

And the software programming can't help here to solve this issue conveniently!

I want someone from Nokia or someone from Nokia Czech Republic (where i live), to come down and explain themselves to the people, because we as a people have the right to know and decide, because WE are spending OUR money on this device, not Nokia employees! I want Nokia to give back in Europe, or atleast in Czech the two navigational arrow keys they have taken out!

I wrote to their Facebook discussion board too, 3 weeks ago, but nobody answered...

Thank you for your attention.

Jack

Last edited by Jack6428; 2009-10-14 at 23:49.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Learn proper english and discard your crappy language

And forget all that "people have a right" and "give back" BS....

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
Learn proper english and discard your crappy language

And forget all that "people have a right" and "give back" BS....
your reply has zero value in regards to this issue and is quite offensive...

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
Of the three I feel I got the most value from Hogwash's post tbh.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
It's linux, just change the key layout through software. And get some stickers

Originally Posted by JayOnThaBeat View Post
I feel troubled as a human being when other human beings are weak enough of mind to be made distraught by mere words.
Well, I'm seeking serious help here, not debating over something where i don't have to care at all about what who replies all the time. Normally I wouldn't care either, but this issue is frustrating.

I guess that one way to solve the problem it would be to arrange more ways of writing like regional virtual keyboards and handwriting recognition. I would take the keyboard of and make the device less thick.

I guess it’s impossible to amuse all, but we all agree that n900 it’s an amazing phone and an enormous step forward for the previous tablets.

I agree too, it is, but i don't want a silly issue like this ruin mine and others experience. Nokia should have thought this out more properly.

@Jay: Remapping may be the solution, but not the ideal one by far.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Where exactly IS Black Mesa anyways? I thought it was in the US, where you won't have this issue?