Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
It's ok at plotting a route and working out how long it takes but apart from that, for navigating it's useless. It's also useless as a simple compass since North on the map is always the top of the screen not where you're facing.

Even without adding turn-by-turn voice nav, it needs a bit of work as just a mapping app.
I got the feeling the app is not yet ready, only beta state, and the reason for that is probadly that Jolla has stopped pay the consult company for continue development of app... (because Jolla need more income first...)

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I hope so, so far Ubuntu seems to have "more runs on the board" in terms of getting 3rd parties involved, & it's even less "polished" than Sailfish.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...manufacturers/
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...untu-handsets/

FFOS is doing even better than Ubuntu in that respect, although it can't really be compared to Sailfish/Tizen/Ubuntu, far less capable etc.
When it comes to hand-helds, Tizen no longer seems to be interested in getting 3rd parties on-board, for now...
But Samsung will make it far more visible to potential hand-held partners with the arrival of it's Gear wearables that use Tizen instead of Android.

Not wanting to talk things down, but assuming there's been competitive progress*, some "light thrown on this subject" by Jolla is overdue.

*I dare not think the worst
And thats kinda sad. The only reason is the name. More people knows about ubuntu. Even if it for sure will be less stable and look as ugly as Android...

Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Oh, fun fact: Today my Jolla suddenly decided to work really well...
I spoke too soon... by now I no longer receive android facebook app notifications... AND I have that strange bug again where the android apps have perfectly working internet connection but ALL Jolla apps can't connect to the internet

Originally Posted by pagis View Post
There is lot of anticipation about the new update. I would prefer to have the update whenever is ready rather than having a buggy release. Those who develop s/w know this very well.
No one said it was ready AFAIK. Those who make sw knows very well that stuff have to be tested before release...

Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Sidetracking a bit, Broadcom already started doing that with the Raspi and other systems. Hope they all follow suite (or politiicians force them). Funny how ARM is an "open" architecture and yet everything else is closed, while Intel provides open source drivers for their systems.
You can't compare a hobby SoC with mainstream SoC's or do you mean Jolla shall use Broadcom in they'r next device? AFAIK Broadcom does not have any highend SoC. And as we already know not even TI Omap singel/dualcore SoC(pandaboard/N9xxx/BeagleBoard) has open drivers.

The reality still is the big players(Microsoft, Samsung, Google) are writing the bussines rules...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-03-12 at 18:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
We have lost track in this thread. Im still sure we will get it the 14th, at around 3 pm jolla office time...

Meanwhile...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Anyone noticed that all the Jolla apps are updated yesterday, 11th in Jolla store. (Excluded Android Support)
Something much awaited is coming soon, I think.

However, the Store doesn't offer any updates to the apps.

Last edited by Kake41; 2014-03-12 at 19:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kake41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I got the feeling the app is not yet ready,
Yep, it does give that impression. Sort of a taster for what could have been ...

Last edited by strongm; 2014-03-12 at 19:47.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Dunno if anyone noticed this, but one of the demo device that was being shown at MWC had 4G

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"