Active Topics

Morning All

Looking at the meego website, it seems the latest release is still very much for developers, although core mobile phone functionality is in place.

I was hoping for feedback from meego end users. Is the current release user freindly enough for day to day use? Can you make and receive calls, browse the web, send and receive sms and mms, use the camera, etc?

Are there frequent OTA updates? Is it well supported?

Most important, is it stable enough for the end user at this point or should we wait for the next release (1.2) in a few months?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
The rule of thumb is for now - if you have to ask, it's not stable (or fast) enough. On a side note, there are no OTAs in the sense most people use them - packages do get updated more-or-less continuously, but that is not a set of tested firmware upgrades (in other words, nobody cares if a snapshot from day X can be upgraded to snapshot from day Y, that level of validation will only be reserved for full release upgrades, if at all).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Wait for 1.2 release. 1.1 or current weekly/daily builds are not for end users.

Last edited by Diph; 2010-12-29 at 13:52.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Diph View Post
Wait for 1.2 release. 1.1 or current weekly/daily builds are not for end users.

handset not stable. but that most cause of lack of official hw.

netbook well its more "stable" except if u using shitty broadcom drivers for wifi like in my case cause everytime I upgrade weekly I have to download and compile and change sourcecode in that driver.

This is cause it cannot be included in meego core cause of licence issues. so dont expect meego core never will be enduser. you always have to tweek if you try to install on non dedicated meego hardware. (for example if you buy an computer that already has windows 7)

meego is mostly done for manufactors. its not a dist like ubuntu/fedore/opensuse who "just works".

By this I dont mean meego is something bad. Infact it can be good at the end IF manufactors get something hw released!

We cant get it stable until we get dedicated meego based hw imho...

so it up to the manufactors like nokia, samsung, weetab, hp whatever...

also that the discussion about license and what not/what is ok to call meego is still not 100 percent in place make me wonder if we have to wait to 2012 until we see good hw. imho this discussion should have been done before even 1.0.was in released.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-12-29 at 21:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: