Active Topics

Originally Posted by epninety View Post
I would have really lost it with this thread and all the rubbish being talked, but I know everyone is just excited and impatient to get their hands on a new hw keyboard device...
(OK except maybe Dave999)

But if you think this wait is bad, just imagine what it will be like when it arrives, and everyone who isn't a hardcore programmer, after 5 mins ecstasy, has to put it back in its box, put it in a drawer, and wait until someone comes up with a workable OS to replace the horror that is android.

Yeah Android is terrible. That's why it's the default is for all major smartphone manufacturers and the overwhelming majority os around the world

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by xman View Post
I would most likely use sailfish. Or dual boot sailfish Maemo Leste

x
This is the bit that's bothering me. I've had a Gemini for about 6 months, and the SFOS is still unusable (wifi bug, bluetooth problems). That's not intended as a criticism, I understand the practicalites of the situation, it's just how it is.

It won't stop me buying and supporting Fx, but I really hope there's enough interest, momentum and support to get SFOS up and running without too many issues quickly.

In all honesty, I might prefer Maemo Leste - I pulled out my N900 last night for a play and I'd forgotten how much I liked it. But from what I read, it's not ready for the big time yet on any hardware at all is it?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Well, that's also the problems I see with the Fx(whatever). I will not buy it, if there is no proper OS on it. And for me stock android is definitely not a proper OS. So for me it's like that:

Fx with only stock android -> I will not buy
Fx with Lineage or similiar OS -> I will maybe buy
Fx with Sailfish, Maemo leste, UBports or plasma mobile -> I will definitely buy!

....but only if most things work. A little bit buggy at the beginning is no problem for me. But I'm not willing to buy it just as a toy

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Yeah Android is terrible. That's why it's the default is for all major smartphone manufacturers and the overwhelming majority os around the world
I'd say it only proves that it is not necessary to be technically advanced, have features or be useful to gain traction.
All it takes is getting the huge installed base at some point and it will continue to be popular forever.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Well, that's also the problems I see with the Fx(whatever). I will not buy it, if there is no proper OS on it. And for me stock android is definitely not a proper OS.
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
A little bit buggy at the beginning is no problem for me. But I'm not willing to buy it just as a toy
This is how the market leads us to shiny toys with no useful functionality. If there's little evidence of a market for such devices, then nobody is going to finance creating them. Creating custom hardware for a low volume market is an expensive business, software for the same probably even more so.

Based on what I see up to now, I would/will roll the dice and buy at the outset because decent initial sales improves the odds that :-

(a) Enough effort is put in from both sides to get a desirable OS up to a decent standard, and

(b) When the alternative OS reaches that point, it'll still be possible to buy a new device to put it on.

(c) Chen will be encouraged enough to carry on and create an even better device next time round!

I'm sure everyone has things they don't like about SFOS and Jolla, but I'm pretty certain there wouldn't be SFOS on the X if no-one had bought the unknown quantity of the Jolla 1. Yes there's gripes and missed promises, but I'd still rather SFOS 3 than any of the current alternatives I've seen.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by Ariadeno View Post
The question is; will Maemo Leste really work on a Qualcomm SoC?
Not sure, but it would seem that what ever SoC used needs to support mainline. I thought I remember Chen saying it may ... not sure.

Currently from maemo L, https://leste.maemo.org/Categoryevice

basically if it can run Debian it should run maemo L, from my understanding.

x

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
This is the bit that's bothering me. I've had a Gemini for about 6 months, and the SFOS is still unusable (wifi bug, bluetooth problems). That's not intended as a criticism, I understand the practicalites of the situation, it's just how it is.

It won't stop me buying and supporting Fx, but I really hope there's enough interest, momentum and support to get SFOS up and running without too many issues quickly.

In all honesty, I might prefer Maemo Leste - I pulled out my N900 last night for a play and I'd forgotten how much I liked it. But from what I read, it's not ready for the big time yet on any hardware at all is it?
Yeah, I need to set up a vm and see if I can get all my needed apps and setting in sailfish. Sadly there is no seamless OS as of now.

I'm happy with maemo mostly, but it will have growing pains with a large screen. With out gestures there's only one way without the keyboard to jump to multitasking and apps window. It was never designed for large HiRes mobile screens.

x

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Interesting, ubports is more popular than sailfish on Fairphone forum poll.

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/poll-w...or-later/44519

x

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
ubports ain't bad...
It has come a long way very rapidly...
Takes some getting used to ...but doesn't everything?

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
I confess I didn't know that ubports was even a thing. I had the original UT phone and I have to say I didn't like it. The hardware was decent, and the core apps were OK, but I never really got on with the UI for all sorts of reasons.

I'm sure it will have moved on a ways from those days though, and I certainly wouldn't reject it as an option without taking another good look at it.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit