Active Topics

Originally Posted by xerxes2 View Post
IIRC, EFTA works like the EU when it comes to VAT. This means that you only pay VAT in the country you buy from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...de_Association
No, this is not the case. In this context, "free trade" means only "without tariffs".

This is the correct definition of the EU VAT area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...ax#EU_VAT_area

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IlkkaP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Poland
Originally Posted by shining235 View Post
#1611 arrived at 08:30 in Germany, but without the extra OH.

Guess what: I got a package insert with "Coming soon" It figures!
Hi guys, it's my first post on the forums - after lurking for months.

I'm in the same boat - got the device delivered, but also without the OH, order ID x1796.
Attached Images

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ck2nb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Åland Islands, Finland
IIRC, EFTA works like the EU when it comes to VAT. This means that you only pay VAT in the country you buy from.

I got this from Jolla customer care

Hi,

thank you for your message.

We expect to deliver during Dec. 2013. An exact ETA is still forthcoming and you will be notified when the shipping is on process.

Sales to Switzerland, Norway and Åland will have 0% VAT, but you will have to take care of the import duties.

Thank you for your patronage.

Sincerely,
Jolla Customer Care

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to br4ndo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by br4ndo View Post
I got this from Jolla customer care

Hi,

thank you for your message.

We expect to deliver during Dec. 2013. An exact ETA is still forthcoming and you will be notified when the shipping is on process.

Sales to Switzerland, Norway and Åland will have 0% VAT, but you will have to take care of the import duties.

Thank you for your patronage.

Sincerely,
Jolla Customer Care
Yes I was wrong, another guy already came up with the right answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...ax#EU_VAT_area

So basically outside of the EU you only pay VAT in your own country.
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Tax free price would be 399/1,24

So about 321,80 euros.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by br4ndo View Post
This basically shows how little experience Jolla has on import & export regulations. The correct formulation should be:

Sales to Switzerland, Norway and Åland will have no Finnish VAT added as exports out of the EU VAT area, but you will have to pay your country's local VAT (unless the package slips through the customs). There are no other duties to pay as Switzerland, Norway and Åland are within EEA/EFTA.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IlkkaP For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland

Note the table at the bottom of the page: Switzerland and Norway are not part of EU VAT area.

I've always had to pay swiss vat for everything I have ordered in EU. But then again, everything that I have ordered in EU has had local VAT removed before exporting.

Wonder what kind of an invoice FedEx will send afterwards!

Last edited by ziller; 2013-12-16 at 21:07. Reason: autocomplete sucks (typos)

The Following User Says Thank You to ziller For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
I can sort of understand screwing up Swizerland and Norway, altough its embarassing enough.

but Åland is part of Finland.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by epmt View Post
I know you don't think Jolla's rep was hurt, but others disagree and feel there was something relatively easy (such as a few more tweets on the actual progress of shipping) they could have done about it.
Sorry, but I have never said that or thought that way

There is always room for improving communication. Even in this Jolla case. My point is that it is not easy, but it doesn't mean that people shouldn't try to improve it. And I hope that Jolla will do post-mortem after they have delivered all the preorder and try to learn from the experience, so the next time they will do it better. Currently they have their hands full of work to get everything done before Christmas/Year's end.

Personally I think you guys are being a little harsh on not seeing anything more Jolla could have done, because in the end my suggestions are very mild (some more tweets?), but then again you probably think I'm harsh to expect more from Jolla.

I think Jolla dropped the ball on comms this time. I think Jolla would have been wise to be somewhat more open about the progress of the actual shipping process. I think they gut a little hurt in the process and I don't think tweeting more facts would have hurt them, but helped them instead.

You don't agree. That's fine.
Of course Jolla could/should have done more but it is life, everything doesn't go as planned and hoped. (I also should remember that more often ) Especially on large scale logistics, projects or services.

And I can agree you that more communication could have helped and probably could have paid back in long run. But in short run it also could have diverted resources from more "important" things. They probably should have planned the communication better in advance so that it would not have required resources now when all the resources are needed on handling preorders.

And when you are doing the work like Jolla is now doing and things start go wrong, you will get blind. You want to believe to the last possible moment before things start collapsing that you can fix things and everything will get fine. Also you don't necessary comprehend that you know what is happening but people not there don't know and so you should start telling people what is happening. It is only human.

In unrelated case there was on interview at Finnish news broadcast: "Miten vaikeaa se voi olla?" (How hard it can be?) It was understatement of the year then and it still is

Last edited by att; 2013-12-16 at 21:21.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Tax free price would be 399/1,24

So about 321,80 euros.
Exactly. Which is not what we paid. (Had to pay full EU price)

But the again, I don't mind I originally ordered the Jolla with a Finnish address anyway so I always expected to pay finnish tax. Now I'll just spend the 24% as a tip for the thirsty sailors

The Following User Says Thank You to ziller For This Useful Post: