Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Great guide. Worked great to flash in Linux. I have a few improvement proposals.

I had some problems understanding how flashtool works. It became clear once I booted up the phone into Android and then run Flashtool and plugged the cable. The phone was recognized and there were instructions how to power it off and press volume-down when plugging in the cable etc.

Fully turn off your phone.

Open flashtool.

Plug your phone into your computer. Flashtool should now recognize your phone.
Please add that you need to press volume-down to enter flash mode while plugging the USB cable. This is also explained when using Flashtool.

Now fully turn off your phone again and enter fastboot-mode (hold volume-up while plugging in your phone).
The led should now be blue.
Hold volume-down to enter flash mode here (not fastboot mode). It is true that led is blue in flash mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by jukk View Post
Great guide. Worked great to flash in Linux. I have a few improvement proposals.

I had some problems understanding how flashtool works. It became clear once I booted up the phone into Android and then run Flashtool and plugged the cable. The phone was recognized and there were instructions how to power it off and press volume-down when plugging in the cable etc.

Please add that you need to press volume-down to enter flash mode while plugging the USB cable. This is also explained when using Flashtool.
I didn't need to hold any volume-key to enter flash mode but a few people had to do that so I'll add it to the instructions.

Hold volume-down to enter flash mode here (not fastboot mode). It is true that led is blue in flash mode.
No, you're really supposed to enter fastboot mode there, not flashmode (the flash.sh script executes fastboot commands).

And you do that by holding volume up while the phone is fully turned off and then plugging in the usb cable as I said in my guide.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
I didn't need to hold any volume-key to enter flash mode but a few people had to do that so I'll add it to the instructions.

No, you're really supposed to enter fastboot mode there, not flashmode (the flash.sh script executes fastboot commands).

And you do that by holding volume up while the phone is fully turned off and then plugging in the usb cable as I said in my guide.
For flashing it's volume up to get blue LED and be in fastboot mode. Volume down is used for EMMA flashing

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland

That is really strange. I did hold the volume-up first, and it didn't blink blue (it was red or something else). The flash command just stopped there, waiting. Then I did it the other way and it worked. I'm confused now

Edit. Maybe I have it all wrong, it was late and I was tired. Following the instructions in the Flash tool worked, though. And no harm is done by pushing volume button wrong way. You can just try again the other way.

Last edited by jukk; 2017-10-12 at 09:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jukk View Post
That is really strange. I did hold the volume-up first, and it didn't blink blue (it was red or something else). The flash command just stopped there, waiting. Then I did it the other way and it worked. I'm confused now

Edit. Maybe I have it all wrong, it was late and I was tired. Following the instructions in the Flash tool worked, though. And no harm is done by pushing volume button wrong way. You can just try again the other way.
Summary:
VolUp+USB firstly shows red led until ready, then switches to blue (release) for fastboot
VolDown+USB shows red led until ready, then switches to green (release) for flash.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ljo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Click on the Flash button. This will now install the update so it will take a while. Don't get scared if it's stuck at preparing files for a long time, it's supposed to be that way. If an error pops up (can't quite remember what the message was) select continue.
Hi Jakibaki

By any chance was that error that popped up in Flashtool about RESET-NON-SECURE-ADB being missing?

Rich

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Hi Jakibaki

By any chance was that error that popped up in Flashtool about RESET-NON-SECURE-ADB being missing?

Rich
No that actually wasn't it D:

Did it work anyways for you? In that case there are multiple non-fatal errors that can happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
thanks for the guide!

flashing starts fine on my xperia x until it stops with an error:

Flashing oem partition..
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'oem' (163040 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.309s]
writing 'oem'...
FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)

the phone is unlocked,

could anybody help me with some hints?

best regards,

The Following User Says Thank You to jabgoe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jabgoe View Post
thanks for the guide!

flashing starts fine on my xperia x until it stops with an error:

Flashing oem partition..
sending 'oem' (163040 KB)...
OKAY [ 5.309s]
writing 'oem'...
FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)

the phone is unlocked,

could anybody help me with some hints?

best regards,
It looks like you didn't properly update it. Were there any errors during the flashtool step?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
It looks like you didn't properly update it. Were there any errors during the flashtool step?
properly update? ... i'm quite sure i did this

flashing starts correctly, the phone is found and all previous steps end with OK. like this here:

Searching device to flash..
Found device with vendor id '0fce': Bus 001 Device 034: ID 0fce:0dde Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB Xperia Mini Pro Bootloader
Fastboot command: fastboot -i 0x0fce
Flashing boot partition..
sending 'boot' (10842 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.356s]

just this oem partition doesn't want to be flashed

The Following User Says Thank You to jabgoe For This Useful Post: