Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Bluetooth on the Nexus 5 under Sailfish is very unreliable. It often takes several on/off toggles to work, and will usually stop working again after a few hours to a day and require a restart to work again.

Additionally, the kernel that the OnePlus X uses allows it to wake from sleep with a double-tap on the screen, like a real Jolla. Nexus 5 cannot do this as turning on its touch input requires the screen to be awake too.

Also, if you've used an N9 before - the OPX has what was one of the N9's best features, an OLED screen.
From a hardware perspective OPX is probably better with its dual sim option if you are fine with 16GB and you are right regarding the OLED screen, it was a really great experience on the N9.

In my opinion double-tap is overrated if LPM is available, it doesn't cost you remarkable battery life.

I cannot confirm your bluetooth issues which seem to be fixed since the porters switched to cm12 base in general.

The Nexus 5 is much cheaper if you get a 2nd hand one and is one of the best devices out there with respect to price performance ratio though its about three years since it's first release.

Last edited by BluesLee; 2016-11-15 at 21:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Getting into Sailfish while in North America is so much harder.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Getting into Sailfish while in North America is so much harder.
Since the election? My personal advice, change the continent

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of OPX compared to Nexus 5 from a SFOS perspective?
Bluetooth on the Nexus 5 under Sailfish is very unreliable. It often takes several on/off toggles to work, and will usually stop working again after a few hours to a day and require a restart to work again.
I have to disagree with what you're saying; I use a bluetooth headset (Urbanista Boston) almost daily for listening to Cutespot and Nettiradio and I never have any hiccups like you describe.
There is a real problem though, but it is not related to switching on/off the BT, but the fact that BT is unusable for call reception. The voicecall quality is so bad you cannot make out anything what is said in the other end.
I have no idea if voicecall over BT is better on OPX.

Additionally, the kernel that the OnePlus X uses allows it to wake from sleep with a double-tap on the screen, like a real Jolla. Nexus 5 cannot do this as turning on its touch input requires the screen to be awake too.
Well, there is a kind-of-workaround to that; if LPM is enabled, the device wakes up when you pull it out from your pocket; after that it does react to double-tapping
But I do admit that doubletap is a nice feature.

Also, if you've used an N9 before - the OPX has what was one of the N9's best features, an OLED screen.
And that is a real bonus! OLED is so nice... Is the quality good?

One thing which I have learned to love is the wireless charging (Qi-standard). It is so nice just to drop the device on the pillow or charging tabletop and not to fumble for the USB port in the darkness.
I think OPX does not have that...?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have to disagree with what you're saying; I use a bluetooth headset (Urbanista Boston) almost daily for listening to Cutespot and Nettiradio and I never have any hiccups like you describe.
There is a real problem though, but it is not related to switching on/off the BT, but the fact that BT is unusable for call reception. The voicecall quality is so bad you cannot make out anything what is said in the other end.
I have no idea if voicecall over BT is better on OPX.
I will say, I have not run the latest build (CM12 base) yet; it may be that all the issues have been fixed. I should test that.

Well, there is a kind-of-workaround to that; if LPM is enabled, the device wakes up when you pull it out from your pocket; after that it does react to double-tapping
But I do admit that doubletap is a nice feature.
How do you enable LPM? I didn't see anything about that on the wiki page.

And that is a real bonus! OLED is so nice... Is the quality good?
The quality is amazing, much better than the N9. It can also dim much farther - the N9 would always blind me at night, even on minimum brightness. I've been using it with displaytime for a night clock that's barely lit.

One thing which I have learned to love is the wireless charging (Qi-standard). It is so nice just to drop the device on the pillow or charging tabletop and not to fumble for the USB port in the darkness.
I think OPX does not have that...?
Nope, it doesn't. The Nexus 5 does? I never knew!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
Since the election? My personal advice, change the continent
Ha! Good one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
LPM is easily enabled, but talso triggers the device freeze bug from the latest SFOS releases much more reliably. I keep it disabled until this gets fixed.

BT call reception on OnyX is excellent, the screen is amazing and the device is sleek and fast. I don't miss the wireless charging. Also the port is much less draining than the sensors bug on Nexus 5 (which AFAIK is still an issue) - I'm getting minimum a day with moderate usage.

Nexus 5 has sfdroid though.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2016-11-17 at 16:32.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
CalDAV is still a bag of hurt on Sailfish.
Off topic maybe, but CalDAV for Fruux is working fine on my Jolla 1. Must say, I experienced some double or triple calendars, but that hasn't happened since Fiskarsinjoki.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@rob_kouw, as far as I know, @aegis is using some kind of Apple CalDAV and has been complaining about having issues with it for the past two years or so. The fact that no one else has been complaining suggests that there are not too many users of that particular service among the Sailfish user base. I personally would not know, I do not use any C*DAV of any sort.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Despite looking like some kind of a standard format, it seems like CalDav/CarDav cloud hosts differ wildly in their implementations.

Jolla is currently setting up a container server and inventing some automated tests to help increase the number of supported providers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post: