Active Topics

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Not on big screens where buttons make more sense.
As long as the buttons are big as well, of course (unlike a certain robotic OS).

Come to think of it, if there's one thing Apple has done right, it's their screen sizes. Although even there the compact models have become bigger over time. The compactness of an iPhone 4S with Sailfish on it would be heaven.

Last edited by nthn; 2016-08-21 at 19:21.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I was looking at that list as well, but unfortunately the red boxes are in all the wrong places, the porter for the Z1 Compact is no longer working on it, the Z3 Compact doesn't seem all that compact anymore at 4,6 inch and is on the expensive side anyway (of course I say this having paid full price for the Jolla phone). Good to hear Sony are releasing sources, though.
The z1c and z3c are pretty much the same size externally. There's less bezel on the z3c. It's still significantly smaller than a Jolla phone despite having a larger screen.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
+1!

Sailfish would fare marvelously on a small screen. That is where the swipe navigation would really make a difference. Not on big screens where buttons make more sense.
Agree 100%. IMHO even Jolla 1 was (and still is - I have not grown yet) too big for one hand use and thus in part spoiled the user experience that SFOS aims for.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoOppen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I really hope some kind of 3,5-4 inch device with Sailfish OS will be released in the (near) future. I'd buy it without even looking at the specs.
There are Xperia 2011 devices which have a working Sailfish OS port. To be honest it works surprisingly well (as for such piece of hardware) but has also some issues. Mostly with scaling (320x480 devices especially, mostly with 3-rd party apps), lacking of the proper hardware keyboard layout and the amount of RAM memory seems to be a significant bottleneck on daily routine using.

I am also looking for a "preferably smaller" device with Sailfish OS porting in mind. Unfortunately, all the Nexus devices lack the memory card slots.
Currently I am thinking about Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and Motorola Droid 4. The first one seems to be almost perfect. Has even the FM transmitter. But doesn't have the hardware keyboard and has a poor CyanogenMod support. The second one has a lot worse hardware but includes hardware keyboard. The CyanogenMod support seems to be better.

It seems that every available solution is to some extent a compromise. And that bothers/annoys me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Slightly O/T: Maybe I'm bonkers, but I covet a phone with something like an e-ink / e-paper primary display.

It'd be niche, sure, but for basic use I think it'd be just about viable (perhaps with a few more years' development). No videos possible, only very basic games, and web browsing would be sketchy. But imagine the battery life...

I was seriously considering buying the JotaPhone 2 before I found the Jolla. Probably would have gone ahead and bought the former if it had had a replaceable battery.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
MikeHG, you do realize that Yota(sp?) had both LCD and e-ink and used the latter as auxiliary only? The main screen was still LCD.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I do, yes - I looked into it fairly seriously.

It was the non-replaceable battery that caused me to look elsewhere and find the Jolla, partly in the hope that Kimmo eventually got his e-ink TOH working.

But the more I've thought about it since, the more I've realised that I really could do without a 'decent' display on my phone at all - I have a tablet, and we live in an era of screencasting.

If I could get something that was more or less a 'featurephone' (with a text-only LCD, capable of doing emails and maybe console style web browsing) but could tether to my tablet I'd also be happy. Not in the market to replace my Jolla 1 yet, but if semi-modular phones become a viable thing that's a direction I'll look into when it finally dies (or 1GB of RAM finally pushes me over the edge).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
The z1c and z3c are pretty much the same size externally. There's less bezel on the z3c. It's still significantly smaller than a Jolla phone despite having a larger screen.
According to GSM Arena:

Jolla: 131 x 68 x 9.9 mm
Xperia Z1 Compact: 127 x 64.9 x 9.5 mm
Xperia Z3 Compact: 127.3 x 64.9 x 8.6 mm

I wouldn't call 4mm significantly smaller.

Compared to the N9: 116.5 x 61.2 x 12.1 mm

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
There are Xperia 2011 devices which have a working Sailfish OS port. To be honest it works surprisingly well (as for such piece of hardware) but has also some issues. Mostly with scaling (320x480 devices especially, mostly with 3-rd party apps), lacking of the proper hardware keyboard layout and the amount of RAM memory seems to be a significant bottleneck on daily routine using.

I am also looking for a "preferably smaller" device with Sailfish OS porting in mind. Unfortunately, all the Nexus devices lack the memory card slots.
Currently I am thinking about Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and Motorola Droid 4. The first one seems to be almost perfect. Has even the FM transmitter. But doesn't have the hardware keyboard and has a poor CyanogenMod support. The second one has a lot worse hardware but includes hardware keyboard. The CyanogenMod support seems to be better.

It seems that every available solution is to some extent a compromise. And that bothers/annoys me.
Yeah, if the Xperia Mini Pro had some slightly better specs I think everyone on this forum would buy one. It's only 9cm! The Xperia Mini is even smaller!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
So add your vote here: https://together.jolla.com/question/...maller-phones/

There is nothing small enough in the Android world today. I switched to a small iPhone. I'm a bit disappointed by the user experience which I expected better than it is, but in hand, it's far superior to everything else. And I trust more Apple to protect my data than Google.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post: