Notices

wazd,

"The Secret Revealed"

now change the Canola desktop file to make -n as default option and you will can start Canola windowed using the menu.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
Thanks I now know how to switch into window mode, so understand the earlier comments. Cant say it "rocks my boat" as I personally prefer full screen with the ability to quickly switch to underlying applications and programs as the mood takes me. It's not as though we will miss anything happening, as messages, chat etc are highlighted to us in 2008 in Bottom left hand corner of display. (Well at least I think they are when using Canola2 on N800/N810 )

Theming the Canola UI with colour, icons and personal picture that should create some interesting results.

A quick suggestion for the Canola developers. Not exactly theming Canola, more the reverse ... If the existing Canola theme backgrounds were made available to us to download, we could make them our default background image. Then, Canola would seem more integrated with the system looks. I think it'd be cool; it would look like the Canola controls just replaced the system ones. It'd be easy, too, as long as the image owners don't mind.

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Hi Brianj: we are preparing almost everything to be released, so there's no problem in releasing the pngs at all. I will ask and see, we can release them on monday,

OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

releasing the background pngs is a great idea, i was just thinking about that this afternoon.

does this mean a big update next week?

Handful,

Can the Canola2 desktop platform be made into the n800 desktop platform. What would be even cooler would be if Canola could spin like those Ubuntu youtube vids where they get linux on one side, ms on other etc... That might require too much processing power though. I just feel that the n800 platform is ideal for a very visual desktop that is easy to maneuver through. Great for newbies like me. That's why Canola2 is such a godsend. It makes your app a real user friendly and enjoyable experience. Dan

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately this is not possible yet. The spin you see on ubuntu videos (and also a lot earlier available in the mac) uses 3D acceleration (ok could be done without) but we can barely draw on screen, so you can imagine that drawing this, on a "3D" (even fake) surface is kind of too expensive for the device.

We are taking more time in this update because developer support is coming, and this update already supports plugins, so you can see more and more the things you want to do to be done inside canola

Thanks for the nice words dan! That's really our goal, to make a enjoyable user experience in a different way from conventional maemo apps.

Br

the canola -n thing is amazing!!

Scarflash : While I don't agree that is nice to see canola on windowed mode,but for sure I do get quite happy if people liked it

for me it just too much space wasted around and that white line between the application and the top bar just kills me but most of the thing also works like in the portrait mode experiment.

If you have suggestion, please... keep them coming

Marcelo

* Go python!!!

Last edited by handful; 2008-03-13 at 11:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to handful For This Useful Post:
Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
Originally Posted by brianjdoherty View Post
A quick suggestion for the Canola developers. Not exactly theming Canola, more the reverse ... If the existing Canola theme backgrounds were made available to us to download, we could make them our default background image. Then, Canola would seem more integrated with the system looks. I think it'd be cool; it would look like the Canola controls just replaced the system ones. It'd be easy, too, as long as the image owners don't mind.
What would be even cooler, would be for Canola to have a theme that would use the tablets current background image and impose its UI on top of it