Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Las Vegas, NV
Hi,
I found this great little word processor that will read and write .rtf (rich text) files so there is inter-usability between almost ANY word processor including MS word --if the file is saved as .rtf rather than .doc. It will also save native unix text as well as html files. There is also a spell checker and best of all it is VERY small. the RPM package I installed on my machine is only 2.73 megabytes! I tried to convert this to a '770 compatible file but had trouble getting the debian arm file to complie. The scripts I was trying to use were giving me an permission error for some reason. There are debian arl packages available as well as source code if someone would like to (please :-) build a mammo compatible package.
Below is a wikipedia link and a discription I borrowed from the web site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_(word_processor)

"Ted is a word processor for the X Window System environment, which runs on Linux and other Unix-like systems. Developed primarily by Mark de Does, Ted is a lightweight, yet full-featured word processor.

It saves files in a Microsoft Word-compatible rich text format and has support for headers, footers, tables, different fonts, text alignment, and other features common to word processors. Ted has been localized into various languages.

While the program includes a spell checker, it does not automatically put a red underline under misspelled words while typing. It is a very light-weight and fast word processor, making it ideal for older computers and embedded systems.

Ted is currently using the Motif toolkit for widget rendering and compiles and runs fine when compiled with LessTif. A GTK+ version is currently under development."

I should have used "Ted" to post the original and done a spell check :-)

this is the homepage:

http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxbear For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
It'll be a *lot* easier to port once the GTK+ version's complete.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Ted is indeed a fine word processor with what seems to be the ideal feature list and modularity for a mobile device. I quite enjoy using it on Linux

The problem is as andrew points out: Without a GTK+ version, you'll need to statically compile the Motif (or Lesstif) libraries in which, AFAICS rules out the (practical?) possibility of any Hildonisation. Then again, Ted's interface is so spartan that we really only need virtual import support.

PS: While browsing the project home page, I came across this intriguing tidbit of text: "Ted 2.11 can be compiled with the GTK+ 1.2.8 toolkit or a later version. The GTK version is not complete and should be seen as step in the right direction." This sounds promising; however, try as I might, I could not find the sources for Ted 2.11.

Back in 1999 I was able (with minor tweaking) to compile Ted and get it to run just fine on the QNX free download version. Unfortunately I can't remember the details of the build environment available on QNX at that time, but I do remember that the porting was very, very easy, a matter of an hour or two. Not that my QNX experience has any relevance, but perhaps it will be just as easy to port here. I don't have a scratchbox installed anywhere to try it out; hopefully someone will beat me to it

Ted has been on my wishlist for the 770 since I got the device.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Ted is indeed a fine word processor with what seems to be the ideal feature list and modularity for a mobile device. I quite enjoy using it on Linux

The problem is as andrew points out: Without a GTK+ version, you'll need to statically compile the Motif (or Lesstif) libraries in which, AFAICS rules out the (practical?) possibility of any Hildonisation. Then again, Ted's interface is so spartan that we really only need virtual import support.

PS: While browsing the project home page, I came across this intriguing tidbit of text: "Ted 2.11 can be compiled with the GTK+ 1.2.8 toolkit or a later version. The GTK version is not complete and should be seen as step in the right direction." This sounds promising; however, try as I might, I could not find the sources for Ted 2.11.
I found another link today at debian, there is an "experimental" gtk version as well, but I think that the standard version might "just work". I had no problem installing an RPM package from my work machine on my debian box at home. It seems to be happy on a KDE box, so, optimization for GNome might not be necessary. This is probably because of the simplicity of the UI.

DEBIAN packages:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/editors/

SOURCE looks like the source code is at this FTP site:
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/editors/ted

...Glen

Last edited by linuxbear; 2007-01-20 at 18:51.

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
I wonder if w/o gtk and hildonization you can pop up the VKB... A word processor w/o a keyboard is rather unuseful
At the time, looking at Ubuntu/Debian repos, it's said
ted-gtk is only available as an experimental package at present
but this should mean that a working version is already in the wild.
BTW I never heard about it, I'll give it a try when I'll find some time!

Has anyone tried to port TED to Maemo yet?

Looks like it would be a great addition.

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
The expectations people bring to a word processor are unlikely to be met soon.

For note-taking i'd like something like maemopad+ - lean and native to maemo. Just needs to export to some WP-compatible format.