Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I agree. I found it alien when I first came to the platform and, even now after using it for several months, I still find it to be illogical and counter-intuitive to me.

But how is it in general any way? Did you get used to it/missN900/still have N900/regret going to android?

And how's the apps and web browsing? Do tabs compare to our "windowed" experience?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Bec View Post
But how is it in general any way? Did you get used to it/missN900/still have N900/regret going to android?

And how's the apps and web browsing? Do tabs compare to our "windowed" experience?
Heh.. I didn't bother wasting my money on the N900. I bought a Nokia N800 years ago the DAY it was released in CompUSA stores and ever since then, I've had such horrible experience with Nokia that I decided to wait until the company improved its customer service and bothered to listen to customers.

As far as coming from Maemo 4 to Android, I still prefer the much more "laptop computer" feeling from Maemo 4 and its ability to work with more folding keyboards (HID profile) and the fact that it's truly a real LINUX computer with a full character set keyboard support and the ability to do USB hosting on the external port.

Sadly, the N900 broken bluetooth folding keyboard compatibility, broke the USB hosting support and several other things that I actually rather LIKED about the N800 (two SDHC cards, NO cell phone--I didn't want a cellphone, MUCH better battery life, MUCH more powerful wifi antennae, etc).

Android stepped in and STILL didn't give me very good bluetooth keyboard support (I did get one that works--but you can't just use ANY bluetooth HID profile keyboard) and it's still not a full Linux "laptop computer". So, I miss that. On the upside, it was FAR FAR cheaper than the N900 for me, I was able to walk back into the store to get a replacement the same day, my customer support issues were addressed IMMEDIATELY and happily, I've found a LOOOOT of magically excellent applications that do everything I want (even the UNIXy stuff) and I've found that rooting and hacking away at my phone is far easier than advertised. Pretty slick! Windowing isn't missed at all. I'd LIKE it, maybe? But having applications working as fluidly and aswell as they do in Android clearly is making up for any advantage that a Windowed system would give me.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bec View Post

What a big fat lie, what do you look for in an OS? I switched form N900 to the Nexus and it browses faster, the browser with flash 10.1 is nothing to mess with, i thought microB was good, this is spectacular! it has a super fluid OS (no jerks when scrolling), the screen is for lack of better words 'out of this world', i mean, what more can i say? the user experience is light years ahead of maemo/n900, to prove my theory, i couldn't convince a soul to move to Maemo/N900 when i had it, in less than a month, i have 4 people moving to android after playing with my phone, ie 2 iphone 3g users, a 3gs 32gb user (with IOS4 installed) and the poor soul i sold my n900 to as well :-)

I'm sure your thinking it cant get better, right? I thought so too, that is till i installed CyanogenMod v6 NIGHTLY, i fell in love all over again, go ahead google it.

Last edited by Africa; 2010-08-20 at 12:48.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Africa View Post
What a big fat lie, what do you look for in an OS? I switched form N900 to the Nexus and it browses faster, the browser with flash 10.1 is nothing to mess with, i thought microB was good, this is spectacular! it has a super fluid OS (no jerks when scrolling), the screen is for lack of better words 'out of this world', i mean, what more can i say? the user experience is light years ahead of maemo/n900, to prove my theory, i couldn't convince a soul to move to Maemo/N900 when i had it, in less than a month, i have 4 people moving to android after playing with my phone, ie 2 iphone 3g users, a 3gs 32gb user (with IOS4 installed) and the poor soul i sold my n900 to as well :-)

I'm sure your thinking it cant get better, right? I thought so too, that is till i installed CyanogenMod v6 NIGHTLY, i fell in love all over again, go ahead google it.
How can a question be a lie? Please explain your logic.

Not that I have anything against users with 8 posts but I'll probably see for myself soon.

In terms of UI I tried NITdroid didn't impress at all. On the other hand upgrades keep flowing and flash is already there so Nokia seriously dissapoints with both that and the crappy non-multitouch LCD (SuperAMOLED WTF!)

Tags
android, multitasking