Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
You mean what the modem support ?
well, I meant the SoC as such. Or whatever the HW combo is inside.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Dual-sim doesn't cost much, but massively expands user base.
Those who don't want to use 2nd sim, may leave it empty.

And unlike big phone makers they can't afford to exclusively produce another phone version with 2 sims, so why don't produce it right from the start?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post
Dual-sim (...) massively expands user base.
[citation needed]

I can see why multi-SIM phones are useful, but I'm going to need some solid statistics to believe that more than a fraction of people use more than one SIM at the same time.

Last edited by nthn; 2018-05-12 at 13:00. Reason: Clarified.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
[citation needed]

I can see why multi-SIM phones are useful, but I'm going to need some solid statistics to believe that more than a fraction of people use more than one SIM at the same time.
I asked google, and a lot can be found in emerging markets, where the ratio is about 50% of dual-sim devices, like this:
https://qz.com/345991/how-nigeria-be...rd-superpower/

And there is a world map of dual-sim usage here:
https://qz.com/334930/one-quarter-of...al-sim-phones/ and there https://opensignal.com/reports/2015/...ices-dual-sim/
with the following conclusion:
The numbers skew heavily to poor countries: Just 2% of Americans and 4% of Britons use these phones, but two-thirds of Nigerians and Bangladeshis have more than one SIM in their devices. Globally, a quarter of Android devices in use are dual-SIM.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
4% of Britons? One in 25? I have yet to meet one!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
all this is from 2015.....
in many markets things have change and some kind of flat rates exist. Or at least offers with a few x000 minutes.
Then, many cheaper phones do come as dual sim but people don't use two of them any way.
The most recent info I found was from 2017
https://deviceatlas.com/blog/dual-si...one-usage-2017
but again, those are just percetnage of existing phones but not how many of them use two SIMs at the same time.

And finally, there is a question of how many people that do use two SIMs (and that is usually just because of the cost) are potential buyers of phones with niche OS with outdated HW and with the price 5x higher than comparable one running android.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
all this is from 2015.....
in many markets things have change and some kind of flat rates exist. Or at least offers with a few x000 minutes.
Then, many cheaper phones do come as dual sim but people don't use two of them any way.
The most recent info I found was from 2017
https://deviceatlas.com/blog/dual-si...one-usage-2017
but again, those are just percetnage of existing phones but not how many of them use two SIMs at the same time.

And finally, there is a question of how many people that do use two SIMs (and that is usually just because of the cost) are potential buyers of phones with niche OS with outdated HW and with the price 5x higher than comparable one running android.
I agree entirely. I also think that for most of those people from poor countries who are using two (or even more) SIMs, if/when their countries collectively get wealthier (with better infrastructure and a real choice of operators), they'll stop using multiple SIMs because they'll no longer have a need for them. The cultural entrenchment of dual SIM cards in Nigeria (and possibly elsewhere as well) mentioned in Zeta's article can only last for so long.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
4% of Britons? One in 25? I have yet to meet one!
Let's have a beer sometime!

To be fair, I don't use two SIMs anymore, but I have done quite regularly in the last couple of years. It can be useful in an area with poor signal, e.g. with one PlusNet SIM and one GiffGaff SIM you cover the two major networks (EE and O2) for about £15/month combined if you have a cheap rolling contract on both cards.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I agree entirely. I also think that for most of those people from poor countries who are using two (or even more) SIMs, if/when their countries collectively get wealthier (with better infrastructure and a real choice of operators), they'll stop using multiple SIMs because they'll no longer have a need for them. The cultural entrenchment of dual SIM cards in Nigeria (and possibly elsewhere as well) mentioned in Zeta's article can only last for so long.
Im from a wealthy country and would be happy if there was dual sim support. Phone contracts, with a big data volume, are quite expensive here. Using 2 SIM cards, one for data and one for calls/sms is the most cost effective option.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
[two SIMs] can be useful in an area with poor signal
I give you that. That is about the only reasonable use case that I had considered. It could not be the cost, that can be easily sorted out by switching the provider.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: