Posts: 74 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
Hello,

I'm trying to use my N900 as a GPRS modem but I ran into a problem:
Once the battery is full, it will stop charging even if the charge drops below the "don't charge yet" level. (see screenshot)
It happened with the Nokia BME and also with the Replacement BME.

Is there a way to restart charging without disconnecting the usb?

Regards
Aydan
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Aydan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I doubt it. You are talking about being plugged in to the USB port on the PC, right? The icon in your screenshot seems to indicate that. It looks like the PC thinks the device has been disconnected and cut off the power until a new power negotiation takes place but that will not happen because the device still thinks it is connected. Have you tried telling the phone to switch to either mass storage or PC Suite mode? That should keep the connection alive. (Caveat: I do not know how GPRS modem works.)

I'm running it as a modem on a raspberry, connected via a powered hub. so there's still power available and the n900 is still "connected" and working as a modem.
The phone was set to PC-Suite mode all the time with an active ppp session.

Regards
Aydan

PS: I'm using latest testing CSSU, kernelpower #53 and replacement BME

The Following User Says Thank You to Aydan For This Useful Post:
Strange, I have never experienced such issue - my device always restarts charging when current charge level drops below limit.

But, I haven't used PC suite mode extensively. Nowadays, I provide net access (be it WiFi or GPRS/3G) to Linux or Windoze devices via USB from N900, is using Qt Mobile Hotspot, which, basically, puts N900 as an USB client and starts USB networking with connection sharing (sets itself as gateway for node acting as USB host). In Linux devices (including Pi with Raspbian), it works out of the box, on windoze it requires installing drivers (or windows) as per instruction in Qt Mobile hotspot.

Maybe it would work as a workaround for you? Another plus of above approach is that N900 remains full control over own GSM modem/network connectivity, (acts, basically, as advanced router) so you can put some interesting things on it, like custom port forwarding, firewall, custom masquerading, or whatsnot.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Strange, I have never experienced such issue - my device always restarts charging when current charge level drops below limit.

But, I haven't used PC suite mode extensively. Nowadays, I provide net access (be it WiFi or GPRS/3G) to Linux or Windoze devices via USB from N900, is using Qt Mobile Hotspot, which, basically, puts N900 as an USB client and starts USB networking with connection sharing (sets itself as gateway for node acting as USB host). In Linux devices (including Pi with Raspbian), it works out of the box, on windoze it requires installing drivers (or windows) as per instruction in Qt Mobile hotspot.

Maybe it would work as a workaround for you? Another plus of above approach is that N900 remains full control over own GSM modem/network connectivity, (acts, basically, as advanced router) so you can put some interesting things on it, like custom port forwarding, firewall, custom masquerading, or whatsnot.

/Estel
yep usb networking is simple via qt mobile hotspot it use it mostly and good thing is its self contained like an actual modem and one dosent need to haul in pc suite in windows to connect ;

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It does when connected to a dumb charger.

USB networking wouldn't solve my problem though, since it's still charging from USB while connected to a USB host.
I can try to leave it in charge only and see what happens but I doubt it will make a difference.

Regards
Aydan

Which is supposed to be such level that should trigger the charge again?
I'm experiencing this problem very often even if connected to a dumb charger.
Usually i leave the phone in charge during the night but if there is a task consuming power and resources, in the morning i disconnect the wall charger and the battery is at 85% because the charge ended a few hours before. (kp53 + Nokia bme)

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure, but I think the threshold was lower. Maybe 80%.

Regards
Aydan

I have the same problem - n900 stops charging once it is fully charged and in the end it discharges completely...

Is there a way to change this behavior?
Or maybe a workaround would be to automatically turn on the phone when it starts charging (after full discharge) and automatically select PC-suite mode?