Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Some news:

There is ongoing effort to RE the closed Nokia pulseaudio bits. So far we have https://gitorious.org/pulseaudio-nok...998671f6c8d72:

Having those as source code will not only ease porting fremantle to other devices, but will allow other distributions to be more easily ported to N900.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
(I guess some crossposting is in order for THIS)
Welcoming Juho onboard FPTF team. N900/N9 first hand experience as PA responsible. Our chances to sort audio just increased by factor100
[2014-10-23 Thu 10:16:31] <jusa_> as for my background, I was part of the audio team implementing all the PulseAudio stuff for N900 (and N9, and Jolla)
[2014-10-23 Thu 10:17:16] <DocScrutinizer05> jusa_: !!!!! you're the person we waited for desperately!! WELCOME!
[2014-10-23 Thu 10:19:31] <jusa_> thanks.. I have quite a lot of stuff happening, so I'm not sure how fast I can reply with things, but I really want to help as best as I can
what a happy day! \o/

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Nice! Very Nice!
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
a small update on those pulseaudio bits:

both music and record module seem to work, sourcecode is on https://gitorious.org/pulseaudio-nokia , if someone wants to test, I can provide pre-build .deb files

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
a small update on those pulseaudio bits:

both music and record module seem to work, sourcecode is on https://gitorious.org/pulseaudio-nokia , if someone wants to test, I can provide pre-build .deb files
Great to hear (no pun intended) so, which modules are still left to be REd? In /usr/lib/pulse-0.9.15/modules I see a lot of them, but I think some of these are open source... Aren't only the one with prefix module-nokia-* closed ones? If so, only the module-nokia-voice.so is left to RE? Next question - does it mean that upgrade of pulseaudio (or porting these changes to newer pulseaudio in e.g. Debian or Arch on N900) is now possible and makes sense (providing one wants to do it)?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Great to hear (no pun intended) so, which modules are still left to be REd? In /usr/lib/pulse-0.9.15/modules I see a lot of them, but I think some of these are open source... Aren't only the one with prefix module-nokia-* closed ones? If so, only the module-nokia-voice.so is left to RE?
yes only(some ~300k ARM binary) module-nokia-voice is left to be REed :P.

Next question - does it mean that upgrade of pulseaudio (or porting these changes to newer pulseaudio in e.g. Debian or Arch on N900) is now possible and makes sense (providing one wants to do it)?
That is one of the reasons we started REing - to be able to use those modules with other distributions as well.

Community SSU developer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
A small update on the PA closed bits - yet another one is ready - the famous xprot (speakers protection) module. See https://gitorious.org/pulseaudio-nok...0bcd2023df9399

Community SSU developer

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
I see the times are about 20% better in each test case. Do you see a difference/noticable improvement in CPU usage as well?

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
I see the times are about 20% better in each test case. Do you see a difference/noticable improvement in CPU usage as well?
Not sure I understand your question, so will try to elaborate:

all the timings were performed on n900 with CPU locked @ 500MHz by using the test program. We still don't have all the pieces together, so running xprot "in action" is still not possible. Despite that, I expect to see lower CPU usage with replacement, as the above timings are on the algorithm that does the job. i.e. faster processing == lower CPU usage.

Community SSU developer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Been a long day in a very long week...again.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. I know there have been issues in the past due to higher than desirable CPU usage during audio playback, such as in emulators.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:

Tags
freejamesbrown, freemantle, freemantlegordn, fremantlegordon, neo900, the fptf