Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Nearby search looks for objects near reference coordinate. In this aspect, you specify your location and search string as "Type". For OSM Scout Server, type and name are entered separately (Starbucks should be in a name) type could be "Any" or cafe, I presume. For other providers, you could use name as a type.
I am not quite sure I follow. Can you give an example?

Regarding the configurable UI, I did not mean anything fancy. The navigation block has four sections: the manoeuvre icon and three other elements: left (top in the landscape orientation), middle and right (bottom). All I meant was a set of drop-down lists for what should be displayed in those three elements. The icon would remain fixed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Desktop: icons are huge, indeed. I filed the issue regarding it. I am planning to tune desktop, but probably not immediately.
Yep, that's also something I had to tune in modRana and my WiP Twitter client to make it look sane on desktop, even with Universal Components. It's definitely doable to have a shared flexible UI, just a bit tedious due to all the little places one has to tune.

BTW, how hard it is to build the Mapbox GL native QML element at the moment on desktop ? I should be more or less finally ready to start adding support for in in modRana (all the map page API has been decoupled from the concrete map element implementation a while ago) and have been thinking that running it all on desktop initially could make thinks faster development wise.

There are few issues that I'd like to fix first and also push OSM Scout Server instructions (maybe also flatpak) for desktop. So, the users could immediately use it in offline mode. Also, I have to add support for entering personal API keys - otherwise we risk running over limits. Just have to be ready for it. Then we should be able to start pushing desktop versions more.

Re desktop routing - should be on the same spot as usual. Just catching GPS is tricky without it. Hence its probably a thinnish bar on top.

Re flatpak: as a user, I agree, its always better to install repo's version. as a dev, I can see advantages now. Although, as a dev, its not too rosy either.
For the record I still want to get OSM Scout Server packaged for Fedora, my efforts have just been a bit stalled by lack of time. But after one more local IT/open source conference this weekend (where I'll have a talk about what's new in Sailfish OS, no less ) I should finally have more time to move it forward.

Also with Pure Maps running on desktop there is now one more incentive for the packaging. Also a flatpak version (IMHO there should not be anything flatpak specififc preventing the server from working) could be a nice complement to a packaged version, providing more experience with running OSM Scout Server on desktop.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I am not quite sure I follow. Can you give an example?
Sure. If you want to find Starbucks nearby some location:

* Browse on map to that location
* Longpress on that location
* Click on generated tmp POI
* Choose an info icon
* Choose "Nearby" among actions
* Choose radius to select the distance in which you are interested relative to your selected location
* If Foursquare || MapQuest:
* Click on Type
* Write Starbucks
* elif OSM Scout:
* Click on type and select "Any"
* Click on Name and write Starbucks
* Proceed with search

Its also available in the main menu under Nearby. As a reference location (from which the distance is calculated) you could choose current location or write a global search string over there.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Regarding the configurable UI, I did not mean anything fancy. The navigation block has four sections: the manoeuvre icon and three other elements: left (top in the landscape orientation), middle and right (bottom). All I meant was a set of drop-down lists for what should be displayed in those three elements. The icon would remain fixed.
OK, would that list be shown over the main window? Or a new stack page will be open?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
@MartinK:

Re tuning - yes, it also probably makes sense to review the UI for desktop. On many cases, I can probably fit map next to the search queries and such. But I would expect that the desktop version is in many aspects a demo for what's possible for other mobile linux distros.

Re MapboxGL: see https://github.com/rinigus/pure-maps....PureMaps.json , mapboxgl qt version part. You would have to install mapbox-gl-native-qt and mapbox-gl-qml, as shown in that flatpak JSON recipe. Well, except install location. Use my repos and it should all work. Its way easier to work on desktop - even with Jolla making a decent job to simplify development.

Re OSM Scout Server packaging: I am now writing up a doc for deb-based repos and will probably compose flatpak as well for it. Although, flatpak does impose few limitations, as far as I can see - no systemd socket activation and dbus name is predefined.

Good luck with the talk!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I made a first test with pichlos patch yesterday evening. Just used portrait mode. All in all I liked it. But two things were irritating:

1. Position of actual speed and ETA should be switched. If you do so in the bottom bar there are all infos about when you are arriving. On the top bar you get all Informations which are related to the actual situation: Routing instructions and Speed.

2. position of compass and center icon are moving when a sign is shown. I prefer buttons which don't move around. Especially when driving, when my concentration should be on street.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Sure. If you want to find Starbucks nearby some location:

* Browse on map to that location
* Longpress on that location
* Click on generated tmp POI
* Choose an info icon
* Choose "Nearby" among actions
* Choose radius to select the distance in which you are interested relative to your selected location
* If Foursquare || MapQuest:
* Click on Type
* Write Starbucks
* elif OSM Scout:
* Click on type and select "Any"
* Click on Name and write Starbucks
* Proceed with search

Its also available in the main menu under Nearby. As a reference location (from which the distance is calculated) you could choose current location or write a global search string over there.
Again, that's sort of my issue here; it's a 9-step process that's not very obvious. Contrast to Google Maps:
* Click in box
* Type Starbucks

Or Saera:
* Click in box
* Type "directions to Starbucks"

I recognize that the reasoning here is that different types of searches require different specificities, but surely it would be possible to use some sort of heuristics to decide which search message to use (and thereby do any search from the "Search" option)? Or even to do multiple searches in parallel and sort them by a combined metric of distance + title similarity to search string.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 512 times | Joined on Jul 2018 @ Guatemala
@taixzo i already reported that issue too. too many step just to do a simple search but now look like a advanced search. advanced search has to be a second option not primary.

Last edited by carlosgonz; 2018-11-01 at 13:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlosgonz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Again, that's sort of my issue here; it's a 9-step process that's not very obvious. Contrast to Google Maps:
* Click in box
* Type Starbucks

Or Saera:
* Click in box
* Type "directions to Starbucks"

I recognize that the reasoning here is that different types of searches require different specificities, but surely it would be possible to use some sort of heuristics to decide which search message to use (and thereby do any search from the "Search" option)? Or even to do multiple searches in parallel and sort them by a combined metric of distance + title similarity to search string.
In the end, question is how to implement it? Bias towards current location by default? That's essentially covered already via Main menu/Nearby search and default settings.

I presume that's what is done in Saera when you search for directions via the used provider. Does that provider understand "starbucks in london"? and which london is used then (https://londonist.com/london/feature...t-the-london)?

There are many issues showing up when you start thinking about it and I haven't got any great idea on how to make it more "natural". I have heard complaints, but not much in terms of constructive suggestions that would help to resolve it. So far, related to search, was a more complicated option suggested where the users will specify country, town, street, ... to remove ambiguity of the parsing (in other words: to be able to choose london), but for merging Nearby and Global search no great idea was suggested. As for sorting by distance and title hit - its hard to figure out penalty coefficients.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
My last report about pichlo's patch was rubbish. All I have written belonged to the standard view of pure maps. I just haven't used pure maps for navigation for a longer time and didn't recognized, that the patch didn't apply correctly. Hust recognized it yesterday. After correcting the problems, I have now used pichlo's patch. Unfortunately I don't see a real improvement. If you ask me I would stick with the UI which is already implemented and would just correct the two things I have reported earlier.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Well, as my grandfather used to say, some like the vicar, others prefer his maid

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: