Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
Hi,

I damaged my battery. I was just to supid to put the battery in a right way into the phone. The strip of plastic where the contacts are broke.

I tried to get a spare battery via Jolla Support.

They replied that It is not possible to buy one. I have to
send the phone now to Jolla via a "out of warranty repair" to get
a new battery

hope they will change this policy soon.

iggy...
gotta be kiddin' ?
how can they seriously expect anyone to even slightly accept that.
I dont think that company will survive the end of this year with their history of support

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
So, after a small conversation on twitter:
1. Jolla could sell spare batteries
2. They dont want to, to with-hold batteries for repairs
3 So, you will need to send in entire device, to have them confirm barrery is broken, and then you will pay for an out-of-warranty repair
4. Also, no spare batteries, only 'repairs' as in 3)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Disappointing.

A spare battery would be really handy for me. I cycle tour occasionally and my Jolla is charged up via a hub 'dynamo' into a B+M USB-Werk. These generate 6v * 3W into a buffer battery at a reasonable cycling speed and then let it out in a controlled USB friendly way.

In practice, it means I can usually keep a Jolla charged with a days cycling including moderate GPS use. I end up with my Jolla fully charged by early afternoon on a day's ride so being able to swap out the fully charged battery and charge up a spare would be great.

Incidentally, a TOH that had a second battery and a non-USB power connector would be nice. Micro USB is too fragile a connector for use as a charging connector on a bike especially if it's soldered onto an expensive phone. A 'sacrificial' 2nd connector on a TOH would save expensive repair bills. Nokia style 2mm or 3.5mm jack would be good but USB 5v still.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Disappointing.

A spare battery would be really handy for me. I cycle tour occasionally and my Jolla is charged up via a hub 'dynamo' into a B+M USB-Werk. These generate 6v * 3W into a buffer battery at a reasonable cycling speed and then let it out in a controlled USB friendly way.

In practice, it means I can usually keep a Jolla charged with a days cycling including moderate GPS use. I end up with my Jolla fully charged by early afternoon on a day's ride so being able to swap out the fully charged battery and charge up a spare would be great.

Incidentally, a TOH that had a second battery and a non-USB power connector would be nice. Micro USB is too fragile a connector for use as a charging connector on a bike especially if it's soldered onto an expensive phone. A 'sacrificial' 2nd connector on a TOH would save expensive repair bills. Nokia style 2mm or 3.5mm jack would be good but USB 5v still.
Yes, this was the last drop for me.
Jolla have failed once again. A pitty, I believe in the device, and its potential, even being at a beta stage.

So, I am selling
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...25#post1436125

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
So, after a small conversation on twitter:
3 So, you will need to send in entire device, to have them confirm barrery is broken, and then you will pay for an out-of-warranty repair
4. Also, no spare batteries, only 'repairs' as in 3)
I do hope you've got all that 100% correct.
To me it's a bit unclear what you're saying (in it's entirety).
What epic #FAIL, so disappointed...

Yes, this was the last drop for me.
Jolla have failed once again. A pitty, I believe in the device, and its potential, even being at a beta stage.

So, I am selling
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...25#post1436125
Very sorry to hear that dude...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Now this is pretty strange I admit. I'd like to order a spare battery, "just in case" even as my original battery is in good shape.

What's the real benefit on having a removable battery if there's no way to get replacements, huh?

Did they quote any real reason for this behaviour?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
The other points he raised were also (somewhat) confounding to me.
As I understood them at least...

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Did they quote any real reason for this behaviour?
One I saw was supposedly due to EU regulations pertaining to the transportation batteries.
But he's had lengthier 1-1 chats with Stefano/Others about this...

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-08-18 at 15:09.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
One I saw was supposedly due to EU regulations pertaining to the transportation batteries.
But he's had lengthier 1-1 chats with Stefano/Others about this...
The transportation requirements only concern private persons, there are different rules for companies.
There exist tens of companies that I know of, which you can mail-order either single li-ion cells or compound batteries meant for consumer devices...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
If they really just don't want to sell batteries. I'm completely confused.
That would be a worst case scenario. That would mean Jolla have cheated us. I don't want to believe that. A replaceable battery is one of the essentials for me for EVERY battery driven device! If i can't get a spare battery that will be a deal breaker for any future Jolla products. To be honest if there will be no battery in the store in the next two or three month i will loose my belief in "be unlike".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, jolla, jolla phone