Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Mil, thank you, thank you, and thank you.

Had some problem with opera, and cannot undo whatever happened to it, it broke and would not work. I wiped my tears dry, and without hesitation, jumped right into step 7 of your instruction, ./nupgrade.sh 0-4, then went helping my wife to prepare breakfast. Dont know how long it take, as if I care, when I came back, it's done and everything is back to normal. That is what I call a regular automated installation.........100% hands free. Thank you again, Mil.

This is day and night when I triedto clone the 2006OS to the MMC It wont download, file was missing, this TAR but not this TAR, my good grief, that is worst than to teach a pig to dance!

bun

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
My pleasure!

I wrote this script so that when I had a spare 30 minutes I could disengage brain, run the script and walk away safe in the knowledge that when I returned I would have a succesfully cloned OS. Glad it's helping you too!

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Last ditch effort, take the card out and leave it alone for 10.5 min (just kidding, leave it awhile is good enough) and gently, gently re-insert it the best way you can, and hope it work. otherwise, re-formating is a consideration.

bun
thanks man.

Actually i am booted into my MMC without any problems, but only thing is i am not able to find the remaining FAT partition. your trick will work if i booted from internal flash, right?

I guess it can be fixed by reformatting the FAT partition, but i donno how to do that?

Last edited by Green_Star; 2007-09-16 at 17:35.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Green_Star View Post
thanks man.

Actually i am booted into my MMC without any problems, but only thing is i am not able to find the remaining FAT partition. your trick will work if i booted from internal flash, right??

Nay, if it works, it works. You turned the 770 off, and take out the card, bla bla bla. There is a possibility that the card was not inserted 'perfectly' but is allowing the previous format/working temporary and thus heated up the media and causing the problems. As I said, it is a last ditch effort. For hard drive, I even put it in refrigertor and will sometime allow me to recover some data before it dies again after 15min or so working.

[QUOTE=____________________________________________
I guess it can be fixed by reformatting the FAT partition, but i donno how to do that?[/QUOTE]

This, boot from MM, step 4 is partition, will kill the other partition too, not recommend. the formatting is next step, http://examplified.net/guide/Nokia_7...ting_from_MMC/. Tools>file manager>memory card also has a formatting command, not sure how it works, I think step 4 above should take care of you, post if questions. good luck.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-09-16 at 22:30.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Nay, if it works, it works. You turned the 770 off, and take out the card, bla bla bla. There is a possibility that the card was not inserted 'perfectly' but is allowing the previous format/working temporary and thus heated up the media and causing the problems. As I said, it is a last ditch effort. For hard drive, I even put it in refrigertor and will sometime allow me to recover some data before it dies again after 15min or so working.

This, boot from MM, step 4 is partition, will kill the other partition too, not recommend. the formatting is next step, http://examplified.net/guide/Nokia_7...ting_from_MMC/. Tools>file manager>memory card also has a formatting command, not sure how it works, I think step 4 above should take care of you, post if questions. good luck.

bun
thank you so much bun,

mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1
shutdown -r now

above command solved my problem, my remaining FAT partition is back, before your suggestion i was in the impression that the script by milhouse will take care of that too,,,!!

I have another question. this device gives very little time to hold menu button to get boot menu, and most of the times i am little late and it defaults boots into internal flash.

So I want to increse that time to press menu button and even if i didnt press button it should default boot into my MMC, how can i do that?

Im getting an error installing e2fsprogs

Package e2fsprogs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
E: Package e2fsprogs has no installation candidate

Any ideas?

Also wanted to say thank you for taking the time to write this up. Was exactly what I was looking for.

I'm almost done with this process, for not knowing anything about Linux it was easy enough, just a little problems due to errors of my own. Milhouse, thanks for posting this!

Edit: How do i know if i'm using the memory card or the flash memory?

Last edited by mraya; 2007-09-17 at 02:31.

Originally Posted by mraya View Post
Edit: How do i know if i'm using the memory card or the flash memory?
Probably the easiest way is to run the "mount" command in xterm, the check where your root ("/") filesystem is mounted. If you see a line similar to the following

Code:
/dev/mtdblock4 on / type jffs2 (rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000)
then you are running from internal flash. If it shows ext2 instead of "jffs2" and "/media/mmcX" (where X will vary) instead of "/dev/mtdblock4", then you are running from MMC/SD card.

Originally Posted by jarcat38 View Post
Im getting an error installing e2fsprogs

Package e2fsprogs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
E: Package e2fsprogs has no installation candidate

Any ideas?

Also wanted to say thank you for taking the time to write this up. Was exactly what I was looking for.
Need more information... what repositories have you got setup, what device are you using (770 or N800)... some repositories are a bit flaky, or you may be using out of date repositories (try changing mistral to gregale etc.)

Originally Posted by Green_Star View Post
I have another question. this device gives very little time to hold menu button to get boot menu, and most of the times i am little late and it defaults boots into internal flash.

So I want to increse that time to press menu button and even if i didnt press button it should default boot into my MMC, how can i do that?
Someone was asking something similar within the last two weeks - they wanted to reduce the default timeout to something less than 30 seconds... try searching the forum for bootmenu related threads with replies from fanoush.