Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Yes my bad, thanks for catching that - I'll update the instructions now.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I'm very interested to perform this procedure. How much faster does loading things from SD is, compared to the JFFS2 partition? Can hdparm be used to measure the jffs2 partition speed?

Search the forum for "hdparm", you'll find the thread with the answers you seek.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Thanks Milhouse. I did try searching for 'hdparm jffs2' but for some reason that thread didn't turn up in the result, although both terms are referenced in the thread.

Originally Posted by Sarty View Post
Noob reporting:

I've encountered problems at step 7 of this guide. Here's what I'm getting (verbatim):

sudo gainroot
/home/user # cd /home/user/bin
/home/user/bin # ./nupgrade 0
/bin/sh: ./nupgrade: not found
/home/user/bin #

Should I be typing in "./nupgrade.sh 0"?
Yes. This is different from DOS where you enter a command, and DOS starts looking for files with .com, .exe or .bat extensions. In *nix you execute a file, not a command, so the full filename must be specified.
The filename extension is just as any other part of the filename, and only there for your convenience (.sh is often used to indicate to you that it's a shellscript, but you could equally well call the file nupgrade.myscript, or, indeed, just nupgrade)

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
These instructions apply to OS 2006 (770), OS 2007HE (770) and OS 2007 (N800).

If you're all set with root access, xterm, wget, boot menu and e2fsprogs installed *and* a 256MB+ second partition on Internal memory card, jump straight to step 7... otherwise continue with the pre-reqs.
7. Download and execute the following script and binary
  • The following commands will download the cloning script and the GNU tar binary to assist with the cloning process
As user "user"
  • Code:
    mkdir ~/bin
    cd ~/bin
    wget http://www.nmacleod.com/nokia/bin/nupgrade.sh
    wget http://www.nmacleod.com/nokia/bin/tar
    chmod +x nupgrade.sh tar
As user "root"
  • Switch to the root superuser and begin the process of cloning the filesystem to partition two on the Internal memory card. This is achieved in stages to allow you to control progress and check for errors. Pass parameters to the nupgrade.sh script to control progress, as follows
    • 0 - Create ext2 filesystem on partition 2 of the Internal memory card
    • 1 - Mount partition 2 as /opt
    • 2 - Mount rootfs as /floppy
    • 3 - Perform cloning process
    • 4 - Commit filesystem updates and unmount /floppy and /opt
    Code:
    sudo gainroot
    cd /home/user/bin
    ./nupgrade.sh 0
    ./nupgrade.sh 1
    ./nupgrade.sh 2
    ./nupgrade.sh 3
    ./nupgrade.sh 4
    reboot
    Steps 5 and 6 are optional and may be performed in order to upgrade the freshly cloned OS 2007 (not OS 2006 or OS 2007HE) to the Sardine bleeding edge test distribution
    • 5 - Enter chroot gaol prior to upgrading cloned OS on memory card
    • 6 - Initiate Sardine operating system upgrade of cloned OS on memory card

If performing a Sardine upgrade, use the following procedure:

Code:
    sudo gainroot
    cd /home/user/bin
    ./nupgrade.sh 0
    ./nupgrade.sh 1
    ./nupgrade.sh 2
    ./nupgrade.sh 3
    ./nupgrade.sh 4
    ./nupgrade.sh 5

cd /home/user/bin
    ./nupgrade.sh 6
    exit
    reboot
  • When the device reboots, choose option #3 "MMC card, partition 2, ext2" to boot from the freshly cloned OS
Hi, Mil. These are great instructions and easy to follow, thanks. I just want to tweak your brain, see if you have any different suggestions.

Right now, I just got my brand new 2 G MMC, have not even opened. I would like to clone 2006OS and 2007He on MMC, and either 2006OS or 2007He on internal flash of my 770. Currently, I have 2007He on internal flash and 2006OS cloned on 1 G MMC. I am also in the middle of setting up a Ubuntu box. I guess my situation is very similar to a lot of folks in this column, got a new 770, cloned 2006OS to MMC, then flash 2007He to internal flash. I suppose, a lot of folks will be interested to see how to accomplish 2007He cloned to MMC without starting from scratch, if possible.

1) what is the most efficient partition on a 2 G MMC? I seldom use 2006OS other than occasional watch some video, I propose like .3G to 1.7G partition, would that be adequate for 2006OS boot?

2) Can I partition the 2 G MMC on a Ubuntu box? or just a PC with a USB media reader?

3) Can a ubuntu box copy the 2006OS from a 1 G MMC to the 2 G MMC mmcblk02, if a Ubuntu box can work with those USB media reader thing...please dont laugh, I am squeazing my last neuron on technology! If the answer is yes, OMG, dont be shine, could you please write the commands too? I promise you, I will learn Debian before the next 2007He from Nokia

4) Then I can just clone my already flashed 2007He from 770 to the 2 G MMC mmcblk03.

If the above is not possible, then I am not quite sure how am I going to clone both 2006OS and 2007He to MMC simultaneously. It sounded way too complicate, maybe I just cloned the 2007He to MMC and forget (?) about 2006OS?

Thanks in advance, Mil. or anybody has good suggestions/experience, feel free to jump in, as I said, this is going to be followed by a lot of folks.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-09-15 at 06:33.

1) I would suggest the minimum size partition you need for OS 2006 is 256MB, that's roughly equivalent to the size of the internal (128MB compressed) flash memory. 512MB for OS 2006 should be ample.

2) Yep, no problem

3) Yep - tar up the content of the OS2006 partition on 1GB MMC and then untar it on your 2GB MMC. Once you've mounted the card on your Ubuntu box, cd to the root of the partition and create the tar as follows: "tar cvzf /tmp/os2006.tar.gz /" then swap the MMC cards and restore the clone using "cd <root of mmc partition>; tar xvzf /tmp/os2006.tar.gz". That should work, or something similar... If you can mount both cards at the same time you can pipe the output from the first tar command into the second tar and avoid creating a temporary file.

4) Not sure about mmcblk03...

I think someone else asked some of your questions in another thread (probably the OS2007HE thread) - you should check there.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
These instructions apply to OS 2006 (770), OS 2007HE (770) and OS 2007 (N800).

If you're all set with root access, xterm, wget, boot menu and e2fsprogs installed *and* a 256MB+ second partition on Internal memory card, jump straight to step 7... otherwise continue with the pre-reqs.
7. Download and execute the following script and binary
  • The following commands will download the cloning script and the GNU tar binary to assist with the cloning process
As user "user"
  • Code:
    mkdir ~/bin
    cd ~/bin
    wget http://www.nmacleod.com/nokia/bin/nupgrade.sh
    wget http://www.nmacleod.com/nokia/bin/tar
    chmod +x nupgrade.sh tar
As user "root"
  • Switch to the root superuser and begin the process of cloning the filesystem to partition two on the Internal memory card. This is achieved in stages to allow you to control progress and check for errors. Pass parameters to the nupgrade.sh script to control progress, as follows
    • 0 - Create ext2 filesystem on partition 2 of the Internal memory card
    • 1 - Mount partition 2 as /opt
    • 2 - Mount rootfs as /floppy
    • 3 - Perform cloning process
    • 4 - Commit filesystem updates and unmount /floppy and /opt
    Code:
    sudo gainroot
    cd /home/user/bin
    ./nupgrade.sh 0
    ./nupgrade.sh 1
    ./nupgrade.sh 2
    ./nupgrade.sh 3
    ./nupgrade.sh 4
    reboot
    Steps 5 and 6 are optional and may be performed in order to upgrade the freshly cloned OS 2007 (not OS 2006 or OS 2007HE) to the Sardine bleeding edge test distribution
    • 5 - Enter chroot gaol prior to upgrading cloned OS on memory card
    • 6 - Initiate Sardine operating system upgrade of cloned OS on memory card

If performing a Sardine upgrade, use the following procedure:

Code:
    sudo gainroot
    cd /home/user/bin
    ./nupgrade.sh 0
    ./nupgrade.sh 1
    ./nupgrade.sh 2
    ./nupgrade.sh 3
    ./nupgrade.sh 4
    ./nupgrade.sh 5

cd /home/user/bin
    ./nupgrade.sh 6
    exit
    reboot
  • When the device reboots, choose option #3 "MMC card, partition 2, ext2" to boot from the freshly cloned OS

Follow Mil's Simplified instructions, now 2007He2007.36-2 is booting of MMC 2G. Thanks Mil! As explained, the steps are easy to follow, ./nupgrade 0-4. I made some very minor change to suit my use, I give .45G for the OS and 1.37 G for media (a 2G reads only as 1.89G before formatting) and I use Fat32 instead of Fat16,

/dev/mmcblk0p1: 1,45000,b
/dev/mmcblk0p2: 45001,,
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:

I am not a SW developer, the chance of installing 1.5G app is highly unlikely for me, at this stage, Kind of curious what other people's partition like.

I jumped right to step 7 as I already has the prerequisite, but it kicked me out on ./nupgrade.sh 3 > Internal application error, Xterm close. I re-started from step 6, no more error. Very interesting....... Now I booted from MMC and has 237 M space for apps, OMG!!!

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-09-15 at 06:42.

I followed these instructions for my 770, everything went fine, but finally i am not able to access my FAT partition. in file manager memory card item was grayed out !! when i checked in control panel it is saying my memory card is corrupted (ofcourse i booted from memory card), can some one tell me how to resolve this problem? thanks.

Originally Posted by Green_Star View Post
I followed these instructions for my 770, everything went fine, but finally i am not able to access my FAT partition. in file manager memory card item was grayed out !! when i checked in control panel it is saying my memory card is corrupted (ofcourse i booted from memory card), can some one tell me how to resolve this problem? thanks.
Last ditch effort, take the card out and leave it alone for 10.5 min (just kidding, leave it awhile is good enough) and gently, gently re-insert it the best way you can, and hope it work. otherwise, re-formating is a consideration.

bun