Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
I would advise warning on overclocking as you will shorten the life of your device, may make the device unusable at times. Even after overclocking and you have decided to stick with the normal speeds your device may not behave normally like it used to.
true
Its sad to see another quality N900 been laid to waste, just make sure to not buy it from this owner if he ultimately sells an overclocked (and now unusable) device.
Much less fair. I'd personnaly buy an overclocked device before a random one if his owner has filed the pins of the charger's micro-usb connector, as this component is much more prone to fault.

The Following User Says Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
PR information can only be found out if you visit the firmware downloads page on tablets-dev.nokia website.

I would advise warning on overclocking as you will shorten the life of your device, may make the device unusable at times. Even after overclocking and you have decided to stick with the normal speeds your device may not behave normally like it used to.

Its sad to see another quality N900 been laid to waste, just make sure to not buy it from this owner if he ultimately sells an overclocked (and now unusable) device.
There is no evidence on the N900 for this overclocking warning. There is a thread thousands of messages long here with not one demonstrated instance of overclocking damage. Tell me how to damage my N900 with overclocking and I'll give it a try, just for you. The N900s come overclocked from the manufacturer. When you overclock, you are just deciding to try a different range.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere

there is no way i'm gonna sell this device
(all this summer i have searched for the ultimate device, and n900 meet all my criteria + the last device with infrared port)

PR information can only be found out if you visit the firmware downloads page on tablets-dev.nokia website.
Ok, i wanna flash it, what should i download from there? Should i download pr 1.3 witch i currently have, or pr 1.2 ia better (i read that somwhere on this forum) ?

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Ok, i wanna flash it, what should i download from there? Should i download pr 1.3 witch i currently have, or pr 1.2 ia better (i read that somwhere on this forum) ?
pr 1.3 is a very clear improvement on pr 1.2 (imho).

Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
-i want to install multiboot to run meego, android, power kernel (my phone has v20.2010.36-2)
See my multiboot tutorial here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
ok, i flased it. now first how to root my device?
second- what is the latest/best power kernel(for OC, usb host, wep cracking)?
can i replace phone' default kernel with power kernel

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ irvine
i never installed the ssu. Everything goes great until i try to update. When i want to update i get a create a back up with no option to continue? any advise???

I just looked and it says Conflic twith application packages.

libqt4- test(4.7.0-git20100909-0omaemo1+0md)

Any advise now ??

Thank you

Last edited by danx; 2011-10-04 at 16:08.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
There is no evidence on the N900 for this overclocking warning. There is a thread thousands of messages long here with not one demonstrated instance of overclocking damage. Tell me how to damage my N900 with overclocking and I'll give it a try, just for you. The N900s come overclocked from the manufacturer. When you overclock, you are just deciding to try a different range.
No evidence on overclocking warning, sure its only me amongst other people that agrees its best to not overclock the device.

Sure there's no thread of one demonstrated instance of overclocking does damage but you could at least agree that with a CPU that has NO form of active cooling, is stuck inside a small little box could actually live long enough? Have you never heard of stories where with normal desktop CPU that one has not placed the heatsink on and that melted the CPU when the computer was turned on? Have you not heard of stories where people overclocked their desktop computers whilst running on stock heatsink and fan and noticed they started facing issues with lockups? Do you not think those would not affect a puny little handheld device like the N900?

I never denied that N900 came overclocked from the manufacturer, I'm just further advising against any more adjustments to increase that overclocked limit because you may (note the word MAY) shorten the lifespan of the device.

Also adjusting the higher clock frequency without actually utilising that frequency does not actually affect the device however under full load (remember, the device is not dumb enough to stick itself under highest frequency unless you chose to also increase the lower clock frequency).

No evidence on overclocking warning, sure its only me amongst other people that agrees its best to not overclock the device.

Sure there's no thread of one demonstrated instance of overclocking does damage but you could at least agree that with a CPU that has NO form of active cooling, is stuck inside a small little box could actually live long enough? Have you never heard of stories where with normal desktop CPU that one has not placed the heatsink on and that melted the CPU when the computer was turned on? Have you not heard of stories where people overclocked their desktop computers whilst running on stock heatsink and fan and noticed they started facing issues with lockups? Do you not think those would not affect a puny little handheld device like the N900?

I never denied that N900 came overclocked from the manufacturer, I'm just further advising against any more adjustments to increase that overclocked limit because you may (note the word MAY) shorten the lifespan of the device.

Also adjusting the higher clock frequency without actually utilising that frequency does not actually affect the device however under full load (remember, the device is not dumb enough to stick itself under highest frequency unless you chose to also increase the lower clock frequency).
I don't want to overclock it all the time, only when i play a game (psx emu), after i will set it back to default speed.
Right now i am working to to increase /home/ size for applications. I will set it to 10gb (to be sure it is big enough)

Tags
fremantle, nokia n900