Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
Would gluing to the contacts with conductive glue make it better?
The problem is, I do not know how conductive the "conductive" glues are. Do they introduce a few mΩ resistance? Is it a few, a few 10s or a few 100s? Is it enough to cause a noticeable voltage drop and hence problems at higher currents?

I personally would solder. The "battery" contacts are not actually directly contacting the battery, there is a tiny circuit board between the battery and the terminals. But I would be extremely careful not to overheat the board while soldering, as even the transferred heat might be enough to permanently damage the battery (trust me, I know - and I have been soldering things for 30 years ). For the less experienced, a glue is a less risky solution.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The problem is, I do not know how conductive the "conductive" glues are.
I agree, it might add too much resistance, and either over heat, or the battery or phone will plain refuse to work due to low voltage

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The "battery" contacts are not actually directly contacting the battery, there is a tiny circuit board between the battery and the terminals.
(It's the one which cares about battery security - like shutting down when over charging, voltage under safety point - and talks to the phone over I2C to give battery health information (all the data you can see in CSD)

It might not be *directly* in contact with the battery, but still, they are dangerously close to the lithium.
One wrong movement with the soldering iron or on badly landing drop of solder and you're in for a tiny firework.

The best would be to ask a friend with lots of experience and a steady hand.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
The R&D of Keyboard Mod will finish in 10 days. I will be back to China for various things but this will be one of the most important subject. Hopefully when the Keyboard Mod ships I will prepare some hand cast samples of this unit. We are making progresses. (With the new robust 8-string sliding part, also off-set keypad etc.) Will resume updating in coming weeks.

I personally got more excited with the going of this device, and technically speaking (OS aside) it's somehow much easier than Moto Mods platform.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
The R&D of Keyboard Mod will finish in 10 days. I will be back to China for various things but this will be one of the most important subject. Hopefully when the Keyboard Mod ships I will prepare some hand cast samples of this unit. We are making progresses. (With the new robust 8-string sliding part, also off-set keypad etc.) Will resume updating in coming weeks.

I personally got more excited with the going of this device, and technically speaking (OS aside) it's somehow much easier than Moto Mods platform.
No worries. Take your time. Enjoy China.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Will resume updating in coming weeks.

Yay ! Looking forward to more news !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Is this project still in the pipe after Motorola mod?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Is this project still in the pipe after Motorola mod?
That's such a devilish comment, even coming from you !
It's so upside down in your head

(congrats to whomever gets that one)

On a more serious note, Chen seems to be working on the KB mod, as can be seen in the IGG comments.

Your guess about when the KB mod will be done with and Chen ready to go full throttle on our QWERTY hopeful bliss is as bad as mine

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by British View Post
That's such a devilish comment, even coming from you !
It's so upside down in your head

(congrats to whomever gets that one)

On a more serious note, Chen seems to be working on the KB mod, as can be seen in the IGG comments.

Your guess about when the KB mod will be done with and Chen ready to go full throttle on our QWERTY hopeful bliss is as bad as mine
How is that? I think its a fair question Since I never take this project for granted, and neither should you.

Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
@British Thank you. The last step always be the most difficult.

@All: I have a question: Regarding Software and binary support for Linux (Let's put performance aside), Is MTK better than Qualcomm? I heard MTK has a better support for Linux than Qualcomm, but I couldn't find evidence supporting it...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 493 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
How is that? I think its a fair question Since I never take this project for granted, and neither should you.
Don't worry, you took it too seriously and didn't get the subtleties. It's OK.
To be fair, that was a bit far-fetched

So: post #666, Dave999, upside down... need I say more ?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to British For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen