Active Topics

http://www.memoware.com/ has a vast range of free books in various formats.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
No ebooks in libraries?

You can get ebooks and audiobooks in many libraries. My library, as part of the Los Angeles County Libraries, has .pdf books and audiobooks, which you can get on the Internet without going to the library except of course to get a library card. Unfortunately, it's not easy to get them to work on N8x0 tablets. Sample pdf books available that might be of interest to someone here would be the Linux Bible (2007 ediition), Windows Vista Bible, and Wireless Hacking. The audiobook selection is much better.

You might wonder how these work as library lendings. I think the audiobooks that go onto cell phones or some other pda type devices like Palms can be kept there forever, but not renewed after the loan time of two or three weeks have expired. The .pdf books just expire in a couple of weeks and I don't think you can read them at all after a few weeks -- obviously they are heavily DRM'd. It's very convenient because you don't have to bring them back to the library, they just vanish.

Last edited by geneven; 2008-08-27 at 18:49.

Here are some.

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...ok-titlesearch

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

And don't forget Feedbooks!

If any of you use Gutenberg project you can still download the gutenbrowse. Use it with FBReader. The site to download is
http://www.elisanet.fi/ptvirtan/soft...wse/index.html
Just get the deb file, maemo doesn't work. Gutenbrowse works on my N800 with Diablo latest update.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by grog View Post
When was the last time you got a free book from them? I've been collecting them, but recently they announced that they'll only be sending out previews. It's been a couple of weeks & no free ones since.
You're right. I was on vacation and busy before leaving and didn't notice the change.

What a pity.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Anyway guys, a very good set of e-books in this thread.
We should collect them up in one single wiki page...

another vote for manybooks.net. After trying a few different formats, I like the custom html format for fbreader.

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Anyway guys, a very good set of e-books in this thread.
We should collect them up in one single wiki page...
Actually most of them were already on the ITT wiki, which also shows the limited use of Wikis, i.e. few people read or maintain them.

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I didn't know you can get e-books from libraries. I wish you could.
I do.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Tags
ebooks