Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
As you all know apple has rejected google voice from the app store. With all the apple hate going on... i think it is a great time for maemo 5 to come out. Many people are fed up with closed systems and maemo 5 would be a wonderful replacement.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/28/g...ose-connectio/

http://gizmodo.com/5324268/apple-rej...ice-iphone-app

I disagree...the majority of the people that care already have an iphone. just beacuse google voice got rejected (for now) doesnt' mean they'll throw their iphone away or sell it to get another device just because it's open source..especially because Nokia has very little marketing and product branding in the US. People hear "iphone with no google voice (in fact, majority of the people don't know what google voice is and have no use for it)" vs "unknown nokia device that isn't really a phone but has VOIP (that isn't very big in the US) and is open source"...people will still go with the iphone.

who exactly are the "many people" that are fed up with closed systems? the majority of the people don't even know the difference between a closed and open system..and they're the people that give apple and nokia their money. selling to a small community of linux/open source makes a lot less money....so the fact that just because google voice got rejected (for now) from apple would do little to taking money away from apple to nokia

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigr3dd0g For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
As you all know apple has rejected google voice from the app store. With all the apple hate going on... i think it is a great time for maemo 5 to come out. Many people are fed up with closed systems and maemo 5 would be a wonderful replacement.
By "many people", do you mean all 20 of you? Majority of people do not care.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fms For This Useful Post:
Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
I'm getting fed up waiting for Nokia to even _announce_ something new, never mind release it. my n800 is getting rather long in the tooth, and my fingers are getting twitchy for a new toy, so I'm seriously looking at the HTC Hero. Which T-Mobile (UK) should be releasing this afternoon.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Hmm it reminds me of this prediction about the iPhone...

"“You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two- year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone,” Elevation Partners (which owns a huge portion of Palm) co-founder Roger McNamee told Bloomberg in March. “Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later.”"

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
"“You know the beautiful thing: June 29, 2009, is the two- year anniversary of the first shipment of the iPhone,” Elevation Partners (which owns a huge portion of Palm) co-founder Roger McNamee told Bloomberg in March. “Not one of those people will still be using an iPhone a month later.”"
He should be eating his Foleo just about now...

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by fms View Post
By "many people", do you mean all 20 of you? Majority of people do not care.
But the majority of people do not have an iphone either

The banning of GV is more to do with AT&T phobia than with Apple I believe in this case. This is because It allows users to send free SMS messages and get cheap long-distance over Google Voice. It also makes it trivial to switch to a new phone service, because everyone calls the Google Voice number anyway and hence you don't have to depend upon number portability and all such.

The same could happen with Nokia phone if release with AT&T. Of course there is the plus side that you could always but the phone unlocked and do anything with it. That's an advantage of Nokia.

But seriously nobody even in my friends circle (tech friends) even know what GV does or are impressed with it. They always say - "but why do I need GV on my phone, I can already make calls from my cell."

And open or closed has never been a factor in who sells a product the most in most consumer markets.

I own an Iphone and a nokia e71 and n810. I find myself always switching back to the e71 and n810 combo every time I decide to use the Iphone. The iphone has some great features and awsome apps but not being capable of multitasking drives me crazy. Also, I really like having a physical qwerty keyboard.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Canada
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/28/g...ose-connectio/

http://gizmodo.com/5324268/apple-rej...ice-iphone-app
No worries Android already has it covered. Been using GV since it came installed on my Magic.

Clinton

Clinton