Active Topics

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
So I'm trying to say, Don't lose sight of why the NIT is remarkable by loading up on secondary features. Yes, output to an external monitor would be great, would make the NIT more useful in specific computing work. But not at the expense of lighter weight, lower cost, or better features oriented specifically towards the pocket internet.

It used to be the Nokia tablets were priced cheaper than any netbook or UMPC, and the low price meant people with computer-first-carryaround-second needs were early adopters. I believe we mustn't let that initial (and temporary) marketing advantage play a very large role in planning for the future.
The video out feature is already supported by the OMAP hardware. It does not necessitate any additional weight or appreciable cost. AFAIK, if the video out is not made high resolution, there is no other feature that would be compromised because of its presence. There are smaller, cheaper and less computery devices (Tube) that have video out.

Yes, I agree the tablet should remain optimized for pocket use. We already had the debate of maemo specific apps vs. ported desktop apps. Since some people are clamoring for porting desktop apps, the only way everyone can be accomodated is by having a video out so that you can use the same tablet for maemo specific apps on the small screen and ported desktop apps on an external monitor.

Last edited by SD69; 2008-10-16 at 17:47.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have completely stopped carrying my N800 with me except for rare special purposes. I don't need the Internet when I am walking around unless I am lost or something -- then my Centro will take care of me. It's not optimal, but I am usually not lost. When I want to listen to music, my Centro works fine.

Otherwise, when I am out walking or jogging, I am not looking at a screen. I am looking at the world around me.

I use my N800 when I am siting at home because it is fun and convenient. But I just ordered an eee pc and am curious whether it will replace my N800 at home. I don't need something that fits in my pocket.. My Centro fills that role.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
...the only way everyone can be accomodated...
Has any individual computing device ever accommodated everyone? Is that a workable goal?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Has any individual computing device ever accommodated everyone? Is that a workable goal?
Of course not. By everyone I mean both types - those that want the current optimization of the tablet for mobile apps to continue and those that want the ability to port and use desktop apps.

And the important specific hypothesis (not an abstract general comment) which remains unaddressed is that video out on the nokia tablet would not necessarily compromise its optimization for mobile apps. If you think it would, then please explain why you think so. Or do you think video out would be worthless to those who want to port and use desktop apps?

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
there really is no reason why both worlds cannot be accommodated.

Think about it: a nice smooth finger friendly front end (which is also stylus friendly) and more indepth applications within.

It just makes sense

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think if you've invested in a fancy 'smartphone' like the Centro, you're probably not going to see as much use for an NIT. Sure, the Centro isn't as capable as the tablet, but it's capable enough, and there's a lot of overlap in functionality.

Disclaimer: I do not own a mobile phone of any type. Unless you consider VoIP-from-tablet or IM-on-tablet "having a phone".

EDIT: I use my tablet for tablet-things most of the time (music, video, games, sketching, internet browsing); BUT it is really nice to be able to do laptop things for the times when I need it to. Yes, OpenOffice is ugly on the tablet's screen, but it is nice to have all of that functionality for the times when I really need it.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-16 at 18:48.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
...a nice smooth finger friendly front end (which is also stylus friendly) and more indepth applications within.
I don't disagree with this ideal. In fact, I'd like to subscribe to your newletter and all that jazz. However, it often appears during...
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
...the debate of maemo specific apps vs. ported desktop apps...
...that a vocal portion of the pro-desktop-ports contingent isn't interested in Hildonization or any UI tweaking beyond the bare minimum needed to get a new desktop application mostly working. To them, the tablets are just more Linux boxen, if unusually small ones, and Nokia's finger friendly efforts just get in the way.

As building your multi-mode UI would require even more work during a port, I don't see it being universally embraced.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
...that a vocal portion of the pro-desktop-ports contingent isn't interested in Hildonization or any UI tweaking beyond the bare minimum needed to get a new desktop application mostly working. To them, the tablets are just more Linux boxen, if unusually small ones, and Nokia's finger friendly efforts just get in the way.

As building your multi-mode UI would require even more work during a port, I don't see it being universally embraced.

I think quite the opposite, it would allow most apps to run by just compiling them, without hildonization. If the app has enough interest it may be adapted to be used in the standard environment.

People say its only the geeks that want these type of environments. However lets not forget, if the geeks go elseware, the mass market will eventually follow.

If the desktop environment was supported instead of being hacks, I think the entire user community would embrace it because its functionality would far exceed the current supported environment.

I as always must thank Nokia/Maemo for doing such a great job on the hardware, and the level of openness the have given us. I just want them to get onboard with a full computer suite, because I don't think it will ever be done right, unless "Nokia/Maemo" does it internally.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Right. This (the openness of the platform) and the underlying framework. While what I hear about Nokia's plans for a future UI makes me pessimistic, the fact that the underlying frameworks are desktop technologies give me hope:

It could be that to become what Nokia believes is mass market compatible, the stock UI will be less attractive and more restricted.

So: Let's have them their way with 2"-buttons wasting screen estate in the stock media player - as long as I can still install and run a stylus-optimized mplayer-GUI that has 20 menus and sub-menus and 30 tiny checkboxes in the options-dialog and cries out to be used with a stylus.
Well, it's unfortunate that the UI plans (or what little has been announced of them) make you pessimistic - the new UI is going to be a lot better than the current one But to the latter point, yes that is also a key part of being an open platform: if you don't like what is offered there, feel free to create and/or install something better.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
What's great about the N8x0 is its size - and that it still is a full computer. A mini-laptop. You can choose not to use spreadsheets and word processing on it because of its form factor (just as I choose not to play games on my desktop PC because I'm not interested in games), but this doesn't mean it cannot run a spreadsheat application. More important: It doesn't mean it should be designed not to run a spreadsheet application.
When designing apps - the concept of "workable" always applies to which environment and platform you are designing for.

Just because a spreadsheet is "workable" on a desktop PC, doesnt mean it is "workable" on a tablet - even if you could actually run it.
Just because it can run doesn't neccesarily mean it can "work".

A good app design takes this important distinction of "workable" into factor I believe. Its not what can run, but what can work - both hardware constraints wise and usable design wise.

Again, this is just the way I look at it. I understand that some people here need everything to run on the tablet and somehow work on it too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post: