Originally Posted by leetut View Post
apt-get install --reinstall kernel kernel-flasher
did that twice but conky still shows 900mhz after reeboot

can anyone tell me how to get back to original?
Odd...

Do you have anything under /boot?

Maybe kernel-flasher failed. You could probably use /sbin/fiasco-image-update to manually reflash the kernel.

Alternatively you could use flasher-3.5 over USB from a PC.

Make sure you have the modules installed as well:

dpkg -l | grep kernel-modules

Make sure it's marked as 'ii' on the left.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 138 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ St. Louis, MO, USA
Is there any way to fix the non-resolving of local host names via a custom kernel?

I HATE that I can't ping/ssh/whatever local devices on my LAN.

Suggestions?

Resolving is done by libnss in userspace, not in the kernel. The problem is that by default, the n900 uses a local DNS caching server (see /etc/resolv.conf). I don't know of a clean solution, but at least to make life easier in the meantime, you could add your machines to /etc/hosts.

Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
Resolving is done by libnss in userspace, not in the kernel. The problem is that by default, the n900 uses a local DNS caching server (see /etc/resolv.conf). I don't know of a clean solution, but at least to make life easier in the meantime, you could add your machines to /etc/hosts.
Figured... that's too bad. It's really silly that this is still the case.

Another question for your fine folks:
I just installed titan's kernel for the first time last night. Everything seemed to be working well, but this morning I ssh'd into my n900 and it was REALLY slow--like it even timed out on a few follow up pings. Could this have anything to do with the new kernel? sshd is still running on the n900, but it's pretty much unusable.

Ideas?

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I use sshd a lot but I've never had such a problem.
There are lots of similar problems on the N900, e.g.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=9353
and http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=62
which other processes were running. did you check conky?
Originally Posted by twoboxen View Post
Figured... that's too bad. It's really silly that this is still the case.
Another question for your fine folks:
I just installed titan's kernel for the first time last night. Everything seemed to be working well, but this morning I ssh'd into my n900 and it was REALLY slow--like it even timed out on a few follow up pings. Could this have anything to do with the new kernel? sshd is still running on the n900, but it's pretty much unusable.
Ideas?

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
from now on all changes will be posted to
https://garage.maemo.org/news/?group_id=1528

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Yeah, there is something really wrong with the network modules in the kernel...

I can ping my nas from my laptop and it's averaging about 3ms return.

Without titan's kernel I could ping my nas from my n900 and average about 5ms return.

With titan's kernel I can ping my nas from my n900 and it's averaging about 50ms return. Most times it will stop returning after 4 or 5 and start timing out.

Any idea? I even went through, formatted my sdcard, checked the MyDocs filesystem and more.

This does sound like a wifi driver problem, but my wifi got faster when I switched to titan's kernel; I think there were some driver improvements in 2.6.28.10.

I suspect it has to do with power saving; try turning it off to see if it fixes it; not a permanent solution but just another data point -

(from memory)
Settings->Connections
Edit your connection.. next, next, next, advanced
Flip over to the last tab, and there should be a powersaving dropdown box; select Off

If it fixes it, this may be a new bug.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nightfire For This Useful Post:
This does sound like a wifi driver problem, but my wifi got faster when I switched to titan's kernel; I think there were some driver improvements in 2.6.28.10.

I suspect it has to do with power saving; try turning it off to see if it fixes it; not a permanent solution but just another data point -

(from memory)
Settings->Connections
Flip over to the last tab, and there should be a powersaving dropdown box; select Off

You are right. It fixes! Seems to be a bug.

(from memory)
Settings->Connections

Awesome! that fixed it. I switched this a long time ago and forgot about it. Not sure why it reset my setting; the connection hasn't changed in a long time.