I am most likely sold. sleepkyng hit the nail on the head. Nokia does have something to fear...

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
I'm just waiting to see the price in Finland. $199 would be about 126 euros. With taxes it would be about 160 euros. Knowing TeliaSonera... no way they're going to go that low.

The $199 is with subsidy from the operator. I wonder what one without a phone contract would cost. And yes Android is great but there aren't any phones with it out yet AFAIK.

While I love the Nokia N810, but have been frustrated with HSDPA 3G connectivity due to lack of any good (nokia) HSDPA phone.
Without the phone, I am limited to only Wifi browsing and Internet chat at home.

Now with the iPhone ultimately supporting 3g (HSDPA US frequency) and also being faster than the Nokia N95 3g (Steve compared iPhone with N95 and a Treo for 3G speed comparison) and also being only $199 (all nokia phones are above $300), I feel tempted to go with the iPhone also - for a all-in-1 device.

I just can't justify buying a > $300 HSDPA phone to enable 3G data connectivity for the N810 when I can as well buy a 3G HSDPA enabled iPhone itself for a much cheaper solution (for browsing and downloads and VoIP essentially).

The Following User Says Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I wonder how much the contract will weigh.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Dayton, TN
$199 is definitely a great price but that's just one piece of the puzzle. I really doubt that you'll be able to get unlimited 3g access for the same $60 bucks a month (in the US) as iPhone v1.

We also still don't know how much the apps will cost.

Personally the biggest thing that scares me away from an iPhone is AT&T. If the iPhone was available through other providers I'd be much more tempted.

Hopefully this will get Verizon to lower the cost of their data access. My biggest frustration with my N810 is how much it costs me to tether with my phone.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Concerns about iPhone:

* User can't change or service battery
* Forced to use AT&T - horrible reception, particularly in wilderness areas where my AllTel always connects
* wondering about apps - does it have a Cisco VPN client? What about vnc, remote desktop, kismet, + all the other essential unix tools?

Nice things about iPhone:

* it is a phone.

hint for Nokia - put a phone in the NIT! Arrgh! Let us choose our own cell service!

Steve

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 149 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
Now with the iPhone ultimately supporting 3g (HSDPA US frequency) and also being faster than the Nokia N95 3g (Steve compared iPhone with N95 and a Treo for 3G speed comparison)
Bear in mind that rendering websites is actually quite extensive task for the CPU. The test tells more about the speed of the rendering engine than about the 3G speed. If they've wanted to demonstrate the 3G speed, they would have used the phones to download something big and compared those times.

The Following User Says Thank You to Naranek For This Useful Post:
I think another thing the iPhone 2 will do is raise the bar for competitors to lower the price of their phones.

Like the iPhone did with version 1 in bringing in the slew of high-end touchscreen phones (iPhone was the not the first in fact, but the most effective player), I think iPhone 2 will now help in bringing prices down for all such touchscreen and high-end to mid-level phones.

I don't think the iPhone 1 was subsidised by At&T though. It cost the same with or without the contract. Wonder what is the case with iPhone 2...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Apps will cost exactly depending on how the developers price them. Through App Store developers will take 70% of the revenue, free apps will be free (that's at least good).