Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
PB: Is there any chance you can put an option on the partition, or even better, make available some predeterminated FAT space, like 2G/2G partition, please? I need some FAT spacce on my 4G SD. TIA,

bun

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
PB: Is there any chance you can put an option on the partition, or even better, make available some predeterminated FAT space, like 2G/2G partition, please? I need some FAT spacce on my 4G SD. TIA,

bun
bun -
did you look at this?
Or this?
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
@penguinbait;

I installed Diablo today, spent a few hours getting all my apps and customizations installed (Gnumeric was the only one that I could not get working). Then it was time to put the bootmenu back, so I could boot between diablo on flash and chinook on SD.

I went to your site and downloaded bootmenu-installer 1.0.0-2. But, it fails to run, here is some of the log:

trying to overwrite `/root/install-tools.tgz', which is also in package install-tools-n810e

It looks like this is the chinook version. I looked again on your site, but can't find the diablo version.

Thanks,

Steve
uninstall install-tools-n810e first, its ok its nolt needed after install is complete.

chninook and diablo versions are in the same deb
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
Hi all;

I was able to successfully clone my Diablo flash to my new 8GB micro SD card this morning using PB's install-tools-n810e v 1.0.0-3.

(BYW, I really wish I had bought it two weeks ago - the price at all the local retailers nearly doubled for some odd reason. The cheapest I could find was $69.00 at CompUSA. Best Buy wanted $149.00 and Circuit City wanted $99.00 Two weeks ago they all had the 8 gig cards for $49.00.)

I had some frustration with the process. I first tried it with the card unformatted. The .deb failed right away, complaining about corrupted or unformatted. I thought, 'fine, I'll format'. Same fail. I thought 'fine, I'll format and copy some files to make sure the card is alive'. It was, and disk-usage reported 7.something GB available.

Tried the clone again, this time it reported "external card detected" and trundled for a while, then failed. The log showed that the partitioning had worked, but BLKRRPART thought the device or partition might be busy and could not re-read the part table and suggested a reboot might be be needed. The log showed that fsck complained the superblock did not show a correct ext2 filesystem. After that were various other errors, all secondary to the superblock thingie.

I ran the clone again. This time, although it complained about "corrupt or unformatted card", it did not stop working. It trundled for about 10 minutes and then reported success!

All is OK and I can boot to flash or to mmc1; both have Diablo.

BTW, I was able to get Gnumeric installed using Gronmayer's repos.

So, I have everything I need running on Diablo:
Garnet VM, gnumeric, Pidgin, WiFiInfo, USB control, load-applet, ntpdate, vncviewer, vpnc-gui, emelfm2, various utils like nano, traceroute, telnet, and (sort of) kismet (it still stops gathering packets after it runs for a while).

I'll keep my 4 GB Chinook SD card for a while, but I'll probably eventually try to run Debian and KDE on it.

Thanks everyone!

Steve

Last edited by stevecrye; 2008-06-29 at 18:46.

PB, thanks for this easy one-stop solution. I reflashed to Diablo yesterday and threw in a bunch of apps right after.
Slow, slow, slow until I installed your app which then allowed me to boot from my 2GB SD card which sped things up.
Much easier to do than the old way I was doing by hand.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Grimstad, Norway
Thanks penguinbait, SD booting is great

But is there some way to get the bootmenu to pop up without having to hold the menu button?

Is Acronis True Image the only option for creating a backup image of a dual-boot SD card? I ask because version ATI Home 11 seems terribly bloated with loads of stuff I don't need.

Originally Posted by beldin View Post
Thanks penguinbait, SD booting is great

But is there some way to get the bootmenu to pop up without having to hold the menu button?

Is Acronis True Image the only option for creating a backup image of a dual-boot SD card? I ask because version ATI Home 11 seems terribly bloated with loads of stuff I don't need.
This is only happening for some people, and I am not sure why. It should be coming up on its own.

I suggest installing this to fix it. This will just install bootmenu and setup any partitions it can find. This will not clone any data, just installs bootmenu.

http://penguinbait.com/bootmenu-installer.deb

bootmenu-installer thread
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21344
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
This is only happening for some people, and I am not sure why. It should be coming up on its own.

I suggest installing this to fix it. This will just install bootmenu and setup any partitions it can find. This will not clone any data, just installs bootmenu.

http://penguinbait.com/bootmenu-installer.deb

bootmenu-installer thread
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21344

Oddly enough, my wifes 810 cloned just now for the first time did the same thing and this did not fix it.

This however will fix it

chroot /mnt/initfs cal-tool --set-root-device ask:mmc2

mmc2 is partition 2 on internal
mmc3 is partition 3 on internal

mmc12 is partition 2 on external
mmc13 is partition 3 on external

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
PB: just wanted to say thanks again. I have it installed with diablo without problems.

I had some troubles at first, the deb didn't want to install. I had previously installed just the boot menu, and had to uninstall it before running install tools.

Also a note for any KDE users. If you are using a 2Gig card, you can make more room on your fresh install before trying to install KDE. It should fit, but it wouldn't hurt to a) uninstall the install tools, delete the install-tools.deb, along with the N810 video in video clips, and all the documents. I'm not sure if any of that adds up to significant space or not.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheGogmagog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
uninstall the install tools, delete the install-tools.deb, along with the N810 video in video clips, and all the documents. I'm not sure if any of that adds up to significant space or not.
It really does; I think around 30-40 mb. That provided video clip by itself is 11 mb!

Tags
deprecated