Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
How hard would it be to fit one of these in the next gen NIT:

Toshiba 1.8" SATA SSD

Can you imagine 128GB of internal storage in an N900? :-)

No price tag... I suppose it would be cold shower.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Damn near impossible, considering that Nokia was hurting for a single SD card slot in the N810.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
How hard would it be to fit one of these in the next gen NIT:

Toshiba 1.8" SATA SSD

Can you imagine 128GB of internal storage in an N900? :-)
It's most likely worth about 10 N900s.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think the price of this thing will mirror 4MB drives circa 1981.

Still. Imagine it was fast enough to be used as RAM.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Ultimately I think the strategy of having "some" modest storage capacity on the device and giving the possibility to extend this capacity is the best compromise for the tablets. It makes the device price lower for those users - like me - who can't even fill their 2GB of the device whilst allowing others to extend this capacity when needed. The available space of the SD cards is of course going up rather nicely all the time.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
I'd like to see an 'expansion' slot on the next Internet Tablet. Whether it's PC-MICA, something smaller like a Compact Flash, or at a minimum a SD card slot. Preferrably acessable from the top instead of under the kickstand.

From that you could add just about anything... for example there is a GPS device on a SD card, they also have them on SIM cards. The expansion card could (and likely would) extend outside the case adding.... more memory, a hard drive, better speakers, GPS, USB A port(s), a xMegapixel camera, a barcode reader... the list could be endless.

That way if I want to spend $ to add a gps I can, If I want a decent camera I can get one. The drawback would come in that you could only use one device at a time.... unless you had a bulky expansion slot expansion probably with it's own battery and power supply....

PS, and charge via USB micro like Motorola phones, that way I don't need to have more power adapters.

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
I haven't read every post on the forum, but what I'd love to see in the next IT (or backfit into the N800) is true USB functionality in the USB port. Why not set it up so that you can plug USB devices into the tablet? USB Flashdrives for storage are just one thing that seems to be a no-brainer.

I also want charging via USB, so I'll add my voice to that chorus, too.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
I haven't read every post on the forum, but what I'd love to see in the next IT (or backfit into the N800) is true USB functionality in the USB port. Why not set it up so that you can plug USB devices into the tablet? USB Flashdrives for storage are just one thing that seems to be a no-brainer.
See The Wiki (Actually for future use, the current page makes it seem easy.)

The real story is Here.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheGogmagog For This Useful Post:
That is a crazy idea. I don't want a internet tablet like that. If you want something with that much storage, get the OQO or VAIO UX UMPC. You can put Linux on it if you want too.