Notices

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by 2disbetter View Post
Javispedro, I'm having a mouse pointer error when initalizing a game. This did not occur with .73, do you know what all was switched with regard to the mouse driver, and if it's possible to revert back to .73's implementation of the mouse within .74?
Can you try,,,
- Desktop DOSBox 0.74?
- Any Maemo DOSBox older than 0.74-0maemo4?

If it works on any of those it is probably by the mouse changes I made, in which case I'm not going to be happy if I need to remove them (both win31 and many dos text mode apps work so much better...).

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Okay, here is [probably] a stupid newbie question. I just discovered DOSbox (and abandonia.com and all of those old, lost games I used to play back in the day). I've been playing on my pc, but then discovered that dosbox is available for my N900.

Installed it, put a couple of games on the N900, mounted c, but then found that apparently, the keys are remapped in DOSbox. I can't type c:, because the : key on the N900 keyboard becomes the > in DOSbox. None of the <function> (blue) keys work, as the <function> key itself has been mapped to `.

Even the intro blurb says to "to activate the keymapper, ctrl-F1". Nope. No F-keys.

So how do you use special keys?

Thanks,
--b

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@VulcanRidr
702 messages in this thread. Do you really think that you are the first one to ask that Yes...you can find answer within this thread. Read couple of pages back for first.

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by slender View Post
@VulcanRidr
702 messages in this thread. Do you really think that you are the first one to ask that Yes...you can find answer within this thread. Read couple of pages back for first.
Hi slender,

Yeah, I figured it would be somewhere within this thread, but some threads gain a critical mass, where it becomes easier for to ask than to read the entire thread, and 700+ posts is way past that point.

In any case, I'll start working backward. Thanks slender.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Can you try,,,
- Desktop DOSBox 0.74?
- Any Maemo DOSBox older than 0.74-0maemo4?

If it works on any of those it is probably by the mouse changes I made, in which case I'm not going to be happy if I need to remove them (both win31 and many dos text mode apps work so much better...).
Thank you for the quick reply, it is really appreciated.

It is just one game. (Unfortunately the main game I enjoy in DOSbox. (Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant)

I'll see if I can pull the older DOSbox build off of FAPMAN. I've never tried getting anything other than the current build. Is .74 pushed through to testing repo? If not I should be able to grab .73 from there right?

Edit: I got .73 from extras-testing. Still same error. I just tried .74 on the laptop (win 7 64) same mouse pointer issue. So i don't believe it's anything you changed rather dosbox's change on the mouse.

Would you by any chance have the old deb for an earlier build before what is currently available?

Edit #2: So tried it on .65 desktop and still the same error, so now I'm thinking my files might have been corrupted when I mounted the drive a few days ago. I'll try that, in the mean time I've already reinstalled maemo's .74 version. Thanks for your help!

Edit #3: Just to confirm. It was my game files. Re-added fresh files and it worked no problem. Now to finally tackle remapping the escape key.

2d

Last edited by 2disbetter; 2011-06-08 at 22:27.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Thanks for your work on this, javispedro. I got a hankering for a bit of MOO today, installed DOSBox and copied the directory from my GOG.com install of MOO1 to my N900, et viola! Works great!

Couldn't find a wiki page so i created a basic one. http://wiki.maemo.org/DOSBox

Feel free to flesh it out, you DOSBox experts!

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Edit #3
That is why you don't edit a post that many times after the initial one -- never got any mail notifications. Either way, glad to hear I won't have to remove mouse patches.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
That is why you don't edit a post that many times after the initial one -- never got any mail notifications. Either way, glad to hear I won't have to remove mouse patches.
por favor, perdóname...

I just wanted to further comment that mapping the keyboard was really easy once I took the time to read the .74 user manual.

For those wondering you can make changes without any hacking or extra comps. You do it on the N900.

From xterm, type:

dosbox -startmapper

This will start the mapper immediately and from here you can map the keys you need. However this works on keys not requiring more than 1 key to trigger. I'm not sure if this would work for number keys.

Also Javis thank you very very much for your efforts with DOSbox. I remember being 12 and starring at dos prompts for hours as I played games and messed with Borland C++ 2.0. Amazing I can re-experience all of it on my phone.

2d

Last edited by 2disbetter; 2011-06-10 at 18:02.

From xterm, type:

dosbox -startmapper
One can also just type "mapper" on the DOSBox command prompt.. this is a hidden trick

I'm not sure if this would work for number keys.
Unfortunately not, but the excellent wiki page Flandry made explains the alternative approach.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ stockton
did anybody find a way to map a right click with this im just wondering if how they got it working for gemrb would be useful