Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I don't think talk.maemo.org is a developer forum, I don't think it should be a developer forum and I don't think it ever again can be a developer forum.
I'm not sure when it ever was.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
You guys are going to make me so swollen headed I'll never get through log-out!
We're just holding up the mirror, can't help that what you see is so lovely!

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You guys are going to make me so swollen headed I'll never get through log-out!

I'm just an enthusiastic user, that's all.
Bull. You are a future council member and you might as well start dealing with that.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I'm not sure when it ever was.
You have to admit that in the old days it sure smelled like one!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have never put anyone on ignore, ever, in any forum, as far as I can remember. And I don't intend to. Just an interesting thought. (Maybe there was one exception, I don't recall that I banned that person or just thought I should have.)

Ranters are a potential source of positive energy, all you have to do is turn them around. It's not easy, but it is possible.

Dissenters are essential to any organization, because situations are always subject to radical change, in which case the people most ready for the change are not those who supported the status quo, but those pushing for an alternative. They have thought about how things might change.

There is an Internet tradition of impoliteness. It is bracing and not always comfortable, but it works, in that it allows a frank and sometimes over-frank expression of views and attitudes. If you succeed in eliminating this element of rudeness, a lot of the energy of the Internet goes with it.

Most people, even me, are capable of rational conversations at least at times. The way to solve the problem is to understand where the dissenters are coming from. You can't do that if you ban them. You are more likely to create an ever-shrinking circle of comrades who are judged good enough for your company.

I'm just an enthusiastic user, that's all.
I don't want this to become a idolize Kathy discussion.. but this is inaccurate.

Any forum.. in every category.. would benefit greatly to have more people with your kind of attitude.

I see you around every section, in every sub forum, trying to help nearly everyone.. from simplistic to advanced problems. And, I hope I am not wrong, but you don't seem like the Sys Admin/Engineer/Developer type. And yet there you are.. helping everywhere.

See, I respect Texrat to the fullest. He and I don't always agree but his contributions are invaluable. Same can be said for many, qwerty, bratag, qole, GeneralA, STSKeeps, the list goes on, and on. I like to think I myself have helped a good number of people.. but we're all software or hardware geeks in some way. In a sort of distant part of my mind it doesn't surprise me to see them here helping. That's sort of what we do.

It's somehow completely different to see someone, non-geeky, I should say - be so enthusiastically helpful.

Before you get TOO full of yourself .. you aren't the only one on these forums like that. We have a good number... and that is one of the reasons why I think this community is so awesome.

Not because of the Texrat's, and qole's of the board - we are the type that will find others like us and discuss our problems or wants with or without the forum.

The reason I like *this* community so much.. is we have so many "users" (I'm hoping that doesn't sound negative) that are here actually contributing back.

That is so very rare... in my experience.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Seems this slowed slightly down.

BTW, I drive a blue Peugeot. It will break down in the middle of the forrest. The radio is an American model. The American model has the same name as the European model, but can only play half the European frequencies, because of a coarser FM frequency step. This behaviour is documented and announced, but not something you'll know until you buy it or someone warns you about it. I do not pester Peugeot or Pioneer about it, although I did try to get help from Pioneer. That was a waste of time.

I will compain about the radio in hardware forums unrelated to Pioneer.

And now I will sit my lazy *** into the Peugeot and drive home.

Seems this slowed slightly down.

BTW, I drive a blue Peugeot. It will break down in the middle of the forrest. The radio is an American model. The American model has the same name as the European model, but can only play half the European frequencies, because of a coarser FM frequency step. This behaviour is documented and announced, but not something you'll know until you buy it or someone warns you about it. I do not pester Peugeot or Pioneer about it, although I did try to get help from Pioneer. That was a waste of time.

Apparently, since this is a forum related to Maemo .

I don't think either Tex or I, however, are talking about what you are talking about. What you are talking about.. I don't have a problem with.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
But-- your goal is to find a solution, right?

That's the context too often ignored.

I have read the "this community sucks" thread too, but it's kinda, uhm...

The best members are 10% trolls and the worst are 90%, most people slide along somewhere in between. Some seems to be here only to say that the Iphone is god... And yet, I chose to read the "this community sucks" thread in a way that would enable me to see if the thread starter accidently made some valid points.

He did, but probably not in that thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:

Tags
cars and radios, community, constructive criticism, critcism, criticizing criticism, critiquing critiques, maemo.org, maturity, on fanning trolls, on trolling fans, talk, talk.maemo.org