Active Topics

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, United Kingdom
i know people have asked before if current n900 owners are getting meego when it gets released later this year, but after 38 pages i still havent got a clue what the answer is?

also if meego is released for n900 will it be a free update? Im not too au fait with the linux licensing structure..

hi btw, im new to the forums

Last edited by cazzajay; 2010-03-22 at 19:01. Reason: grammar

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Short story: Nokia has yet to decide whether to bring an official upgrade to the N900. There will however be developer versions, with the first rough one showing up within the next week or two. These will not be polished, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to floffe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Yeah, it would be free. I don't think they even can charge something for it, but you're free to prove me wrong. Anyway all future Meego apps should run without any big difficulties on Maemo 5, so no worries. Anyway, I don't think anyone knows if Meego is coming to the N900.

Thanks all. I tried to summarise the previous threads relating to this but after the first 30 or so pages, my eyes started to ache. which is uncomfortable...

let's hope that, if MeeGo is an improvement over Maemo 5, Nokia do decide to allow us N900 owners a chance to get it...

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Port of Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
In short terms, the answer is Nobody Knows!

I would say 99% that this community will do something to have it (In the case that Nokia doesn't), but at the end will depend onmany factors (E.g. Drivers)

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
so there are no answers and you decided that this thing will be fixed by creating another useless thread?

good job!

mods could this be please moved to earlier ones?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
has the "would it be free" query been raised before?

Last edited by cazzajay; 2010-03-22 at 20:38.

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
Yeah, it would be free. I don't think they even can charge something for it, but you're free to prove me wrong.
Of course they can charge for it. *Most* of the source for meego will be available since it is being handled by the linux foundation, but if you want a nice neat package to install on your n900 using NOKIA software Updater, you can bet that they could charge for it, but they probably wont.

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
Of course they can charge for it. *Most* of the source for meego will be available since it is being handled by the linux foundation, but if you want a nice neat package to install on your n900 using NOKIA software Updater, you can bet that they could charge for it, but they probably wont.
Thanks Quipper, thats kinda what I wanted to know.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by cazzajay View Post
Thanks all. I tried to summarise the previous threads relating to this but after the first 30 or so pages, my eyes started to ache. which is uncomfortable...

let's hope that, if MeeGo is an improvement over Maemo 5, Nokia do decide to allow us N900 owners a chance to get it...
Meego will be free, and I don't think the question is whether Nokia will allow the N900 owners to get a chance at it, this has already been guaranteed. N900 will run meego period, there will be an N900 binary and the N900 device itself is completely unlocked with root access etc. You can run whatever OS you can hack on to it. The thing that you are looking for I think, is if Nokia will provide a finished consumer grade Ovi branded Meego with niceties such as Ovi maps, Skype commercial application store etc.
I am 99% sure that that will not happen and that if anything consumer grade appears it won't be spearheaded by Nokia but by the 'community' with maybe a Nokia assist here or there.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post: