Active Topics

I've always had to re-install the latest .install file or re-SVN down the latest installer files before running them..

Whenever skeeps makes a change to the SVN packages it always winds up crashing in the middle of the install without the "latest" installer files. It's a little annoying.. but usually as long as, before I start the install, I make sure I have downloaded or subversioned the latest installer.. it's worked OK for me.

I agree about the Retry/Abort.. or maybe just a if [ -x 'file' ] for every step of the process to see if that step is already completed..
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
I've always had to re-install the latest .install file or re-SVN down the latest installer files before running them..
Yeah, I changed this around in latest iteration so it loads the packages and fillin conf from the nit-base-packages files instead..

Less generateinstallerdeb for me and less hassle for rest of you :P

In a more release oriented stuff we'll prolly have branches, like /branches/stable/nit-base-packages.tar.gz and /unstable (where i do my havoc). Also the upgrade_deblet script should -really- help a lot.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
Ah, excellent. I tried to update the installer package (no updates available) but didn't manually remove/reinstall it. I'll cancel my current install attempt and give it another shot.
Sorry to spam up the thread, and thanks again for the great project. Despite my lack of success so far I've had a great time playing with it ... and I'm gradually becoming less confused as I try to decipher the python

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Yeah, I changed this around in latest iteration so it loads the packages and fillin conf from the nit-base-packages files instead..
Thank YOU!.. that was definitely needed.

I reinstall deblet about once a day.. because trying to apt-get remove every package for KDE and Gnome is just not my idea of fun (and it never cleans everything up anyway).

@fatalsaint:
Have you considered just making a dd image of a clean install? I'm relatively new to running from mmc, but I'd assume that it would be considerably quicker than running through the full install every time. Is there some reason it wouldn't work?

The Following User Says Thank You to jiiv For This Useful Post:
Yup: Laziness ..

I have often thought to myself "You should make a tar'd backup image right after the install"...

And I subsequently begin installation of crap before the thought occurs to me again LOL.

Meh. This time I figured I'd try for xfce, and it failed on apt-get install nit-env-stskeeps.
I guess I'll give it a shot with barebones-x and see what happens.

Woohoo, looks like it works. I'm going to back it up real quick and then see how much trouble I can cause installing apps

OK, new issue
After installing (barebones-x) I'm having trouble with wireless- the tablet doesn't seem to want to associate to networks. I've only tried it with an open network, so it's not a wep/wpa/whatever thing. This is a completely clean install, the first thing I've tried to set up is wireless networking.
I did notice that iwconfig shows the essid correctly, but it doesn't seem to change the channel (the channel stays at 0 despite changes to /etc/network/interfaces and/or iwconfig commands).
I saw elsewhere that sometimes it helps to copy the files from /lib/firmware on maemo into the same place in the debian filesystem, but that didn't seem to make any difference.
Any thoughts? Is any important wireless stuff missing from the barebones x install that is included with the xfce setup?
Making progress, I suppose

Are you running it from command line???

If you have barebones X with no WM what are you booting into?? Shell?

Tags
debian, deblet, deblet bootmenu installer