I am sorry,I have not learn to use the forum,so lead to "with (at the moment) 6 posts on the account and asking about that kind of stuff"

The Following User Says Thank You to xxsc2014 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Garrett_PL View Post
Nice one, with (at the moment) 6 posts on the account and asking about that kind of stuff :-D
Please be courteous, this problem with IMEI is known for the N900, and xxsc2014 asked politely for help.

I don't think there is any terminal command to change the IMEI number, and it would be illegal anyway.

Google has brought up these results

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f305...twork-1235759/

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/t-1263367.html

talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1152808

All solved after flashing... I can't think of anything else, instead of trying to flash global anyway, I read recently that the USA firmware has some 'issues', maybe this is one of them.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
It is unfortunate for the many great N900 users in China trying to sell their used phones that this is happening.
I would actually be interested myself in the process of changing the IMEI and other GSM modem settings for geeky reasons of complete control of my hardware but with the counterfeit "New" N900's coming out of China with repaired Nokia circuit boards in new cases, probably some with stolen or blacklisted IMEI's, the trust is broken and this thread, true or false, is just another nail in the coffin.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I don't think there is any terminal command to change the IMEI number, and it would be illegal anyway.
I wonder if the IMEI is required to DL the firmware as Nokia that inserts that IMEI# into the firmware image? I doubt it, though I am sure there is service software available somewhere for low level nokia stuff.
I used to have a windows program around 2002 that with the serial cable would edit the IMEI and other settings on my old Motorola P280 and some flip phones.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Please be courteous, this problem with IMEI is known for the N900, and xxsc2014 asked politely for help.

Google has brought up these results

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f305...twork-1235759/

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/t-1263367.html

talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1152808

All solved after flashing... I can't think of anything else, instead of trying to flash global anyway, I read recently that the USA firmware has some 'issues', maybe this is one of them.
Thank you fou your help!I think what you gave is the method to "after flash n900 not showing imei and no network" ,but my n900 can show the imei number 12345640654321,when i type *#06#. as I know there indeed are problems with imei number,one is no imei and network which can be solved by flashing the right and latest version ,the other is like my problem which i don't know how to do,Thanks

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Is this a "trick topic" to find a way how to change your imei number?

please show us a video to prove that your N900 has REALLY that imei number.
Oh, and don't tell us that you can't take a video. I'm sure everybody has some device where you can take a video. otherwise, ask a friend to let him take a video where you show that imei.

After that, we can discuss how we can change that imei number back to it's original state

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Even if this was a trick thread, aside from legal liability concerns, I fail to see why this ought to be a problem - as far as I am concerned the world is not yet so perfect that there can't be an ethically necessary reason for changing one's IMEI number (it's statistically unlikely that anyone seeking to change their IMEI wants this capacity just to be prepared for ethically necessary life corner cases rather than, say, illegal activity, but still).

But anyway, currently, at least last I checked, changing the IMEI was impossible from userspace on the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I'm skeptical. From the country of counterfeiting and technology theft sorry but hard to believe you. I think you have a hurdle of skepticism to overcome.
You can be a manufacturer of fake N900's trying to find out how to counterfeit the IMEI

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
my n900 has a 15-digit IMEI as do others who i know then how does the OP have a "new" IMEI of only 14 digits? I think we really need to treat this thread with skepticism...

you cant download from Nokia's site FW files without entering IMEI so what IMEI did the OP enter when he wanted to download the FW?

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Paranoia... You guys been hanging out around abovetopsecret.com forums? Hahaha!

Even years back when iPhone/3G was out, you could change the imei number, but it was only superficial. It displays a different number, but actual hardware number was not changed.

Nokia site: I have entered 123456.... Blah blah and downloaded and it worked fine. The imei is not set in the software iirc. I have used random numbers and my imei is always the same.

I'm sure it could be spoofed like the old iPhones. But if you are getting calls dropped - sell your phone for parts and I will sell you mine N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post: