Active Topics

ok guys
thanx for all of your feedback
due to the n900 being old(but still awesome),its not sold in sri lanka any longer.so the only choice i have left is the n9 or the s2 but the fact is that the n9 is more expensive than an s2(Rs 75,900 vs Rs 67,900)and i am happy to spend the extra money but before that there are somethings about the n9 i should know

since when shall nokia support it?
will it get something like nitdroid(i heard of alien dalvik)?
will it support usb hostmode and wifi injection
will it be the true successor of the n900?

Last edited by Hrsda; 2011-12-11 at 15:46.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Nokia supports it till 2015 iirc.

Not sure about dalvik or nitdroid. I wish they did port android to it, just for the hell of it.

Its a semisuccessor. More of a spinoff, really, than a sequel.

Personally I had the SGS2, and sold it to get an N9. N9 is, for me, a better phone. Multitasks better, appswitches better, and has a better design.

Course, you COULD get the lumia 800 or wait for the SGS3/Lumia 900.

Wouldnt recommend nexus at least, since sgs2 has better HW (albeit lower resolution).

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I think even a used n900 is still a good purchase. But yeah, I don't think you'll find any left in stores anywhere any more.

Originally Posted by Hrsda View Post
there are somethings about the n9 i should know

since when shall nokia support it?
Hmm. Nokia is still a massive corporation, if no longer thriving as it once did. Support, to some extent, should be available for a while. However, given that the leadership in the company has decided to switch to Microsoft operating systems, I don't know just how much effort they will be putting into supporting the MeeGo OS. Certainly, they won't be working hard on new features and functionality.

Personally, I don't see the point in running Android on the N9 or the N900. The world is now awash in little Android devices. If you just want to play games, I figure it's easy enough to get a used Android phone somewhere and make it into a dedicated gaming box.

As to the successor of the N900... I'd have to say no. The N900, like its predecessors, is in spirit something like a tiny laptop that just happens to be able to take phone calls. It has a pretty user interface, but it doesn't force you to use that interface. Just like any general-purpose computer, the N900 allows you to run your own software in (more or less) the manner you yourself choose. Every other smartphone I've ever seen takes the opposite approach: the designers, in their infinite wisdom, know what is best for you and limit your choices to what they want to give you. Your job is just to sit back, be quiet, and watch the pretty icons go past on your screen...

Anyway, the N9 is a step in the direction of the general smartphone world. All the power of Linux is still sitting inside there, but buttoned up a litte more tightly inside of that "swipe" interface. It is prettier than Maemo, and perhaps provides more consistency across the various apps. But that kind of consistency means little to me; I prefer the freedom of the general-purpose computer. I'd probably spend most of my time trying to work around or otherwise defeat the swipe UI than trying to conform to it.

Sorry, got off on a bit of a rant there. In short, the N9 has a lot of the N900 inside it, but it isn't really a true successor.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Certainly, they won't be working hard on new features and functionality.
Not as hard as WP, obviously, but they do have a dedicated meego unit which are releasing PR 1.2 (feature-packet release iirc), and talk of 1.3 has been about too, however that may be rumors.

But yeah, the successor to your n900 is more some kind of microlaptop than a smartphone. That being said, the N9 rocks a lot of ***.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
hey guys,
sorry if i post this in the correct section,but anyway to cut to the chase i am going to buy a new phone and i am can't chose between the n900 and the s2.i know this might be dumb at the moment,since the s2 is much more faster,newer and has a gorgeous display but i also like the n900 for the the things it does (aircrack,ubuntu,fm transmitter etc..)

any advise is appreciated
I went from my Nokia N900 to the Samsung Galaxy S II and have not one regret. It's faster, slimmer, lighter, has a gorgeous large screen perfect for movies, games etc, is much faster when downloading websites, files, has a better internet browser, has the ability to load multiple ROMS (provided your device is rooted and unlock which is easy to do), and there are thousands of applications, games, etc to download from the android market place. Everything my N900 could do I can do on my SGS2 and I was a extreme power user on the N900, and nothing has changed on the SGS2.

If you can get an unlocked SGS2 even better. I got mine from EBAY for £360 (brand new). I bought a download USB JIG and install Custom ROMS whenever I can. Samsung have also confirmed ICS in 2012 so what more could one ask for. If you don't want to wait, there are custom ROMS already available with Ice Cream Sandwich.
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

I wouldnt say any of the android browsers can even compare to the n900 browser. In my experience at least.

Mostly due to the mouseability on the n900, and the HW keyboard making the experience quite a bit better to write on.

Both the stock browser and dolphin HD are worse. IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by slai View Post
Nokia supports it till 2015 iirc.

Not sure about dalvik or nitdroid. I wish they did port android to it, just for the hell of it.

Its a semisuccessor. More of a spinoff, really, than a sequel.

Personally I had the SGS2, and sold it to get an N9. N9 is, for me, a better phone. Multitasks better, appswitches better, and has a better design.

Course, you COULD get the lumia 800 or wait for the SGS3/Lumia 900.

Wouldnt recommend nexus at least, since sgs2 has better HW (albeit lower resolution).
N9, yes was my first choice before SGS2. What do you like about the N9 over the SGS2? I am still very keen on the Nokia N9.
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

If you want Android, wouldn't the GS2 be the more logical choice?

I'd say the N9 is more a niece/nephew than a child to the N900. At the moment it's in no way a successor at all, although whether or not this will still be the case in coming years is ultimately up to the community.

Good luck with picking the right one for you.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
well i don't mind a little lag. what i meant is it so laggy that it is unusable?
properly configured n900 does not lag...ever...
stock n900 might, don't know, newer used n900 as a stock device...

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2011-12-11 at 17:11.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
But yeah, I don't think you'll find any left in stores anywhere any more.
There is still some in this store in my country. Crazy b|tches want €400 for it.