Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Dude, are you serious?

http://guug.org/nit/nitdroid/

Quote:

For testing and debugging:
NITdroid debugging kernel for N770 (2.6.28-rc8-omap 2008Dec10)
NITdroid debugging kernel for N8x0 (2.6.28-rc9-omap 2008Dec20)

Its right there... keep reading...
Ugh, I can't believe I missed that Thanks for pointing out.

Its still the same results. I see the Nokia logo, but nothing happens after that. I suspect whether the bootloader is getting invoked, because I can see hardware and nic details when the factory kernel boots in the rd-mode. While loading android, nothing shows up. I am sure that I got all the instructions correct, this is the output of fdisk -l for this partition.

Code:
   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1       16001      512024    b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sdb2           16002       38402      716832   83  Linux    
/dev/sdb3           38403       61440      737216   83  Linux
I did a fresh download of the rootfs tarball and verified with rsync that the files are correctly copied over.

As a followup, I've noticed other weirdness too. A shutdown does not work from the power button, the device goes through a process of closing all apps, and the display blacks out, with the backlight on. $( reboot ) on the shell as root also gives the same results. The firmware was flashed back to the latest Nokia supplied one, RX-48_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin, overwriting the filesystem completely (-f with flasher).

I've also observed random problems with the OS after flashing it to the default. GPS stays on, even though there is no system tray notification saying so (I remember that this was not the case when I first started up the device). The browser randomly crashes, and the hardware keyboard refuses to load sometimes. I haven't restored anything from backup and the system is running the OS in the pristine state (MyDocs and ~user weren't populated with any of my stuff).

Is there any difference in the core OS between the WiMAX edition and the normal one? I've tried googling around, but apart from vague posts, I haven't seen anything on this topic. Either my searching skills on this forum are lousy, or I am the first person here to see these type of problems. Oh well, scream PEBKAC if you want to :-)

I know that this doesn't strictly touch the topic for which this thread was started. Should I move this whole thing to a different thread?

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Originally Posted by sarathmenon View Post
As a followup, I've noticed other weirdness too. A shutdown does not work from the power button, the device goes through a process of closing all apps, and the display blacks out, with the backlight on. $( reboot ) on the shell as root also gives the same results. The firmware was flashed back to the latest Nokia supplied one, RX-48_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin, overwriting the filesystem completely (-f with flasher).

I've also observed random problems with the OS after flashing it to the default. GPS stays on, even though there is no system tray notification saying so (I remember that this was not the case when I first started up the device). The browser randomly crashes, and the hardware keyboard refuses to load sometimes. I haven't restored anything from backup and the system is running the OS in the pristine state (MyDocs and ~user weren't populated with any of my stuff).

Is there any difference in the core OS between the WiMAX edition and the normal one? I've tried googling around, but apart from vague posts, I haven't seen anything on this topic. Either my searching skills on this forum are lousy, or I am the first person here to see these type of problems. Oh well, scream PEBKAC if you want to :-)

I know that this doesn't strictly touch the topic for which this thread was started. Should I move this whole thing to a different thread?
Again, I don't have an N810W, but starting a new thread for those who do should help it get more attention.

Thanks for the tutorial it's really easy. I've gotten past all the steps up to the fourth one. I try to run the nitroid_flasher. I follow all the steps and it says:
Code:
Flashing sequence activated and RD mode being enabled.
flasher v0.9.0 (Jan 19 2007)

Suitable USB device not found, waiting 
<i turn on the tablet pressing the menu button>
USB device found found at bus 001, device address 004
Error claiming USB interface: Operation not permitted
Restarting...
I don't know why it's giving me this problem. Can someone help?

Did you run the ./flasher command prefixed by sudo? You need to be root.

hmm that's weird. i ran it with sudo and it gave me the same thing but now it works. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jakemaheu View Post
Again, I don't have an N810W, but starting a new thread for those who do should help it get more attention.
I got to the root of the problem. The first partition on the 2G SD was formatted as FAT32, but maemo wasn't detecting it. When I went back to the factory default OS, it was going crazy trying to detect an SD card. Strangely, the external miniSD was untouched, but the system gave up on mounting it after it could not talk to the internal SD card. I think some of the default apps need space on the card to write their cache and other data, and was spending more CPU cycles. /proc/loadavg was constantly above 4 which can explain why the battery drained faster. There was a mount in uninterrupted sleep (D on ps wwaux), maybe shutdown froze trying to kill it.

I cleaned up the internal card and reformatted as ext3, and was good to go. I wish I had got some good indication that the OS was spending CPU cycles because of it.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Barrow-in-Furness, england
Just say 'maybe' I've done this wrong and want to start from the beginning again, how can I get my N810 back into its 'normal' form?

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Originally Posted by munkimatt View Post
Just say 'maybe' I've done this wrong and want to start from the beginning again, how can I get my N810 back into its 'normal' form?
It would depend on what you've done. If you just flashed the kernel, you can download the proper image for your tablet and run

Code:
sudo ./flasher-3.0-static -f -F yourimage.bin --flash-only=kernel --disable-rd-mode -R
That will us the flasher to flash only the kernel, leaving your apps intact.

Tags
android, nitdroid