Active Topics

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
In honor of the upcoming release of the Sailfish tablet (and the announced Intex phone), I'd like to start up a new list of desired (native!) apps for the Sailfish OS, along the lines of onethreealpha's original thread. I will play the role of evil Mr. Morden (obscure Sci-Fi reference) and ask each and every one of you, "What do you want?". Please post a note in this thread about the apps you would like to see, and I'll gather them together into this first post. Thanks!

Multimedia Apps (Various Types):
Music Apps:
Photo / Video Apps:
Location / Navigation Apps:
Educational Apps:
Content Creation Apps:
Development Apps:
Messaging Apps:
Network / Communications / Web / File & Data Sharing Apps:
Business Apps:
Utility Apps:
Games:
Android Compatibility:
Other:
Note: if you would like to see some of these apps developed more quickly, TMO member marmistrz has opened a thread where he is taking donations for work on apps.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-10-18 at 14:21.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Thanks for creating this thread (even though a wiki might be better as a wiki page).

Here's my contribution:
  • Kodi
  • R
  • Good flashcard application (Anki port?)
  • Offline vector maps/navigation (need to replace Osmand)
  • File/video download manager with support for various websites (could integrate youtube-dl)

Other than that, I have everything I need (and even these as Android apps, but native would be much better). Plus landscape support to existing apps would be highly appreciated.

PS: I may update the list later.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
a wiki might be better as a wiki page
Ah, well, I kind of like the more informal approach of a thread. I think it's also useful for each contributor to give a more detailed explanation of what they'd like to see. But a wiki would work too...

For "R", do you mean the R statistical computing language?

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-08-12 at 13:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
For "R", do you mean the R statistical computing language?
I think he does, and I second that, especially now that we have a keyboard. As we're in the "work" applications, a simple text editor with Cancel feature + support for Asciidoctor would be handy too.

What about the apps that were listed in the other thread? Are we restarting from scratch? It would be good to update the previous list by removing the apps that were developped since then, but to keep the others.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
What about the apps that were listed in the other thread? Are we restarting from scratch? It would be good to update the previous list by removing the apps that were developped since then, but to keep the others.
Ah, well, I'm a Sailfish newbie myself (I won't even have a device until I get the tablet), so I'm not in a good position right now to determine the state of the apps in the original list. (Although, I guess that goes for this list as well... I'll try to do what I can to determine the existence of apps as I add them.) Also, I'd kind of like to encourage new folks to post their interests here, without being intimidated by an existing list of hundreds of apps.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I add my Catorise-like and Orrery wishes that I just posted in the other thread a few days ago then. R was on my list too. And basically space-related apps, including Stellarium but I think this one has a Sailfish package already, just not in any repo at the moment if I'm correct. Airtame is an important one too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
I already posted a few ones in the recently released spreadsheet by one of the devs on here. But here we go again:

-OneDrive app (at least uploading, downloading and viewing of photos)
-Groove Music (formerly: XBox Music) app (at least searching, playing and adding to collection)
-Instagram upload app

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Kakuro!

This is my favourite Android implementation: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ot.kakuro.full , and there's an ad-supported version by the same dev I could probably use.

But I'd love a native one. May even try to write one myself, unfortunately I'm a shockingly bad programmer, so it'd take a while and probably not work.

The Following User Says Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
I already posted a few ones in the recently released spreadsheet by one of the devs on here.
Well, that one is specific to marmistrz alone. This one is an open request to any developer. (Although I admit I want to get some ideas for apps to work on myself...)

Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
Kakuro!
Yikes! An NP-Complete game, of all things!

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Here's a few ideas (though I don't think I'm a deserving recipient):
  • pass password store front end - like the Android app Password Store (see f-dorid) would also require gpg keychain app.
  • BBC iPlayer/website video streamer (inc. live radio). Could be based round ports of youtube-dl and/or get_iplayer (was planning to try compiling them when I get the tablet, myself). mpv can hook into youtube-dl, but not get_iplayer.
  • Back-up/Restore wrapper round rsync to do on the fly backups to ssh/sd/etc.
  • Front end to add some missing functionality from Contacts and Calendar - eg allow easy playing with their databases. For example I borrowed the sqlite commands to add a custom calender from together, but it's slow if you don't know what you're doing.
  • App that displays UKMO weather forecasts, and possibly weather radar (this may mean cost)

If I had those, I'd probably remove android support from my phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post: