Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
A new development has been announced on Jolla Blog an hour ago.

They try to bring sfos to a device called Lumo that is suited for elderly home care.
The idea is quite good imho. I guess there is a growing market.

Last edited by mosen; 2017-05-17 at 16:16.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Video secure phone. What the hell is video secure phone? what software is it using? Lamo. great name.

Don't really think the market is the big for a wooden phone. pretty niche market. Any picture of the actuall phone?

Anyway. Good luck hope it hits the market.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-05-17 at 12:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Seems quite cool. Any sort of partnerships for Jolla would be great.

I think the use for such device would be when looking after someone who is ill or has disabilities. This makes it easy to check in.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Video secure phone.
Video calls are handled by oulumo own servers and only possible within the lumo client i guess.

But this is not a phone but some kind of dedicated feature device for people who need continous support.
Selling fixed Features they already have at hand as a subset of prior development is the key here!

So they found a field where the comparison to other OSes is not that important because the device will be measured as a whole and nobody cares which os it runs as long as the advertised features work reliable.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
But before that we should have the info regarding the 2nd refund which is approx a few years late by any valid standards.
man, have you tried with some billboard in Helsinki?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Nice to see SailfishOS running on more devices.

I think SailfishOS have a great opportunity on embedded devices where Android isn't dominating and/or needed.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
Nice to see SailfishOS running on more devices.

I think SailfishOS have a great opportunity on embedded devices where Android isn't dominating and/or needed.
No doubt, but what is jollas sailpitch when it doesn't bring anything new to the table?

Why should anyone go with sail...and I mean any companies that can sell more than 1000 devices, profitable companies.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
For niche products, you better go with smaller suppliers. From big companies it might be hard to get the customization you need.
This is a reasonable move from Oulumo.

Sailish OS has all the necessary foundations. From this point it is only up to proper requirement engineering from both sides.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Merienth For This Useful Post:
It sounds like a great concept.

However it is sounding like Jolla is using the scatter gun approach to their business. Fire off a scatter gun that goes in many directions and see what works.

This latest announcement may be part of the big picture some time off in the future, but what about the steps to get to the big picture?

Yes Jolla did make a limited number of phones that only work in certain parts of the world.

Yes Jolla made a tablet and we all know how that went when some are still waiting on a refund.

Yes Jolla has worked out deals with China, Russia, and Sony.

But at this point for many of us the only way we are going to get Sailfish is to flash an image on to a phone or tablet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Seems very similar to the Amazon Echo Show

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J24C0TI

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zenecho For This Useful Post: