Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
As a part-time app developer, I've released a handful of open-source apps to the Maemo Extras repository. But recently, I've been expanding my efforts to other operating systems, and toying with the idea of releasing some commercial, closed-source apps.

While I am fine with the idea of releasing apps open-source, there are just some situations where you cannot operate an app for free. (Case in point, there are no free sources of weather data, so to create a weather app you need to pay someone a regular, ongoing fee.) So, are there any methods left in the Maemo world for distributing an app that requires some form of payment?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
maybe there are better options but matters most is payment system ex opera store maybe board can try.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
This is a good question, especially in light of Nokia Store closing down.

I don't think there are alternatives for commercial distribution of maemo/meego applications at the moment.

Maybe we can investigate how OpenPandora and other niche-y opensource platforms handle their commercial apps, and see if there are reapplications for the maemo/meego platform.

Also, Symbian AppList (sort of an analog to OpenRepos) has commercial applications. However, I believe those are still linked to Nokia Store for the purposes of payment.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Activation codes!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
maybe there are better options but matters most is payment system ex opera store maybe board can try.
I took a look at them, but I'm pretty sure none of the major app stores (even the Opera store, now that it is taking over for Nokia) will offer Maemo-compatible repositories.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Activation codes!
Hmm. I've always been a fan of Spiderweb Software, which has managed to distribute its games for years now via the "activation code" method. Might be something to try...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Well, I've been to make the thread for months. So I'll hijack yours

Maemo lacks some quality software [1]. A great idea would be to community-found its development, just as it was in the times of MCC.

Or maybe OpenRepos could finally give us a platform for commercial apps?

/edit: cross-posted, creating a new discussion here [2]

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...60#post1453560
[2] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...4&goto=newpost

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Last edited by marmistrz; 2015-01-13 at 17:04.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
QuasarMX [1][2]is available to users in three versions: Lite, Pro and Pro beta/pre-release. The first level is free with restricted functionality, whilst the latter versions require a payment on the author's website via Paypal.

The Lite version can be found on OpenRepos, while paid versions can be downloaded from the author's servers (authentication is required to access).

I'm not sure what Jolla's intentions to paid software is, if they have nothing concrete, maybe it would be worth approaching them with a proposal for a cross-platform store. If they're not interested, then maybe OpenRepos as others have mentioned. Aaron Seigo and others worked on an open sourced software store called Bodega [3],[4] as part of the doomed Vivaldi project, this could find use here.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81318
[2] https://www.meteorasoftworks.com/quasarmx/buy/
[3] http://aseigo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10...ticipants.html
[4] http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=bodega-server.git

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Is it possible to get each user to register as "developer" and use his own key? Then, due to low number of calls from each "developer-user" to API, each key will be free-of-charge - developer has to pay only when number of calls to API becomes too large.

It may be absurd, because it gives the weather-provider email-and-such of each user. Hence, if you prefer to use a key provided by other person (aka developer of the app), be prepared to pay to the developer as the developer will have to pay to weather-provider for huge number of calls to API going through him.

Thank you. Best wishes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hmm. I've always been a fan of Spiderweb Software, which has managed to distribute its games for years now via the "activation code" method. Might be something to try...
Loved the Geneforge series! It's pity that it isn't BOTH activation-codes based AND open-sourced (not necessarily GPL), as I would love to have N900 port
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: