Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@Wikiwide,
Thanks, I will try that at home when I have an access to SSH. Just for a good measure I've tried "lock" in FAM and got a lot of hits involving clock and a few about device lock. I doubt this is device lock though, or is it?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
@pichlo,

Package: connui-conndlgs-cellular

The PIN query is started by Xsession (/etc/X11/Xsession.d/05connui-conndlgs-cellular), which is a one-liner calling /usr/bin/startup-pin-query which runs startup-pin-query.launch via maemo-invoker.

There's also /usr/bin/pin-code-correct. I assume that one sends some d-bus/upstart signal.

Note that you also have /etc/event.d/pin-query (start on cellmo sim code-required) which calls startup-pin-query. I suppose this gets triggered when the SIM card is activated after booting (i.e. after Xsession has done its thing) and the PIN query hasn't been done yet (test -r /var/run/pin-query-done).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
@reinob, did I tell you that you are a genius?

Sadly, it did not help. The reason for asking was that after my extempore, the "enter PIN" dialog heading is in tiny font. Everything else is fine. Not that it bothers me much, I know what it is asking me.

However, while on the topic, I would like the SIM card PIN query to pop up every time GSM is switched on, not just when the phone is switched on. That would include coming back from offline mode and after turning GSM off and back on through the advanced switcher. Is that doable?

Maybe I am just spoiled Having used a Treo 600 for 9 years. It had the SIM card available from outside. It also never switched off (except when the battery ran completely flat, but no way of turning it off through any user action). You could only switch between on- and offline modes. In offline mode, you could swap the SIM card. Switching back to online prompted you for a PIN (regardless of whether you swapped the SIM or not).

@pichlo,

Regarding your second point:

Assuming that whenever you go (back) to online mode an upstart event is triggered ("cellmo sim code-required"), the /etc/event.d/pin-query script should be run.

Now looking at that script, there are three reasons why it will *not* run the PIN query:

if env. var $SSC_WAS_READY = 1.
if /var/run/pin-query-done exists (is readable)
if env. var $EMERGENCY_CALL_STOPPED is empty.

Looking at my N900 now (online), neider SSC_WAS_READY nor EMERGENCY_CALL_STOPPED exists. So at least EMERGENCY_CALL_STOPPED should be set to something.

The file /var/run/pin-query-done exists.

I just tried going to offline mode, deleting pin-query-done and exporting EMERGENCY_CALL_STOPPED=yes (though I guess upstart should be restarted then.. and when I went back to online mode it did NOT ask me for the PIN. So it's not that easy.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sadly, it did not help. The reason for asking was that after my extempore, the "enter PIN" dialog heading is in tiny font. Everything else is fine. Not that it bothers me much, I know what it is asking me.
This sounds like a theme issue. Themes are also optified (usr/share/themes points to /opt/usr/share/themes), so I guess you also deleted (partially) your themes folder.

Try apt-get --reinstall install hildon-theme-beta hildon-theme-alpha libgtk2.0-common (plus whatever theme you may be using, if not one of those).

Then you could try switching from your current (broken) theme to another one, and then back to the current. Hopefully that will sort out the issue.

Well, reinstalling hildon-theme-alpha was the very first thing I tried (see post #1). I also tried beta but I don't remember whether I tried switching there and back. And I reinstalled libgtk2.0-common last night because it had an update (to thumb).

Never mind, I can live with it. The important thing is that everything else seems to work fine.

Thanks for your experiments with the PIN request. I had noticed the /var/run/pin-query-done file and tried deleting it but with results similar to yours.

Tags
nokia n900, reinstallation