Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
video can't be recorded on N9 running SailfishOS until you port camera drivers for it
Thanks coderus, I am wondering in this list when it says "camera" it refers to take photos, or record videos, or both?

---
Sadly I only got n9 and n900 on my nickname, both were stolen.

The Following User Says Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on Feb 2017 @ Tbilisi, Georgia (caucasus)
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Bluetooth on the Nexus 5 under Sailfish is very unreliable. It often takes several on/off toggles to work, and will usually stop working again after a few hours to a day and require a restart to work again.

Additionally, the kernel that the OnePlus X uses allows it to wake from sleep with a double-tap on the screen, like a real Jolla. Nexus 5 cannot do this as turning on its touch input requires the screen to be awake too.

Also, if you've used an N9 before - the OPX has what was one of the N9's best features, an OLED screen.
I think best supported device is nexus 4. It's much more stable then my Nexus 5 and Aliendalvik with gapps (i made it) works without problems. It does not work on OPX. So the best device for SFOS (not looking to hardware) is nexus 4 IMHO.

I Still would not buy OPX over Nexus 5. I like Nexus series. They are created for developing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matemana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by matemana View Post
I think best supported device is nexus 4. It's much more stable then my Nexus 5 and Aliendalvik with gapps (i made it) works without problems. It does not work on OPX. So the best device for SFOS (not looking to hardware) is nexus 4 IMHO.

I Still would not buy OPX over Nexus 5. I like Nexus series. They are created for developing.
As the one using N4 and OPX, I can compare them first hand. The both ports are excellent, no doubts, thanks for all who contributed to them over years. You could use the device as intended and, in the end, get what you pay for.

N4 has shorter battery life. We did manage to improve the battery life over years, so you should be able to get through a day without any issues on a single charge. OPX does that as well, can frequently last for 2 days for me. Don't forget N4 older - so battery is probably not in as good shape as OPX.

N4 has inferior screen (smaller, worse resolution, not OLED). OLED is a great feature and you get addicted to it rather fast. Camera is better on OPX. N4 does not have extendable storage nor can have 2 sim cards (choose what's more relevant for you). Some of these arguments are valid for N5. OPX has 3GB RAM vs 2GB, which allows you to do a bit more crazy things.

With OPX, watch out for units that you cannot flash, see https://forum.xda-developers.com/one...orage-t3513748 .

OPX does not have multirom support that would work with SFOS. So, its all or nothing there in terms of SFOS vs Android.

Taking into account that Nexus is dead, we would need new development devices anyway. OnePlus seems to be quite good choice with respect to that.

I have got mine OPX in Sept 2016 and I am very happy with it. It was a great upgrade from N4 in terms of hardware and port is excellent, thanks to all who work on it.

As for Aliendalvik: this is illegal to use it unless you have a license to use it on that particular device. To my knowledge such license does not exist for N4 and its due to the choice of manufacturer and/or Jolla. I am surprised that the corresponding threads have not been closed in this forum since I think it violates forum rules. If you need to use Android apps, its better to work on SFDroid or porting the apps.

Last edited by rinigus; 2017-03-18 at 09:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I've owned N4 and OPX and OPX wins by a long shot. Hardware is good (not great because the glass likes to get shattered). Multirom is indeed a no go but what I did when I had to boot android was: make quick backup of SFOS, restore Android, do what you have to do and restore SFOS. The whole operation takes max. 7 minutes. It's not ideal but it's possible to boot Android in quite short time without the need to flash anything.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post: