Notices

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
0.34 released with rinigus's voice navigation code merged and a couple smaller issues fixed. While testing on my new Sailfish X, the route rendering still feels a bit slow even with the fix in 0.34. That and many other things will likely be fixed with the Mapbox GL component. After Christmas I'll fork the code and begin merging rinigus's GL adaptation. If all goes well, Poor Maps will switch over to minimal maintenance mode and new development will take place in the new GL app.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 137 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ Guate
Thank u very much for all development of this year. Pizza's are on the way.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to karlos devel For This Useful Post:
@otsaloma, thanks for your hard work and communicating your plans on how to proceed with developing Poor Maps. It is really exciting to see Poor Maps with OSMscout Server overtaking most commercial navigation apps (e.g. on Android) in functionality within a little more than a year.

Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
[...] If all goes well, Poor Maps will switch over to minimal maintenance mode and new development will take place in the new GL app.
Will that still leave users of Jolla 1 phones behind (i.e. do they have to continue to use the non-GL Poor Maps version)?

Happy holidays and a splendid start into the new year to you and everyone here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
Will that still leave users of Jolla 1 phones behind (i.e. do they have to continue to use the non-GL Poor Maps version)?
The GL version does not work on Jolla 1 on account of the old and weak GPU, so yes. I expect I'll fix any issues with new SFOS releases, but, to mimize the work, new features would go to just one codebase, which, if all goes well, will be the new GL app.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@otsaloma, thank you very much for your work on rewriting and adjustments of the voice code! Looking forward to the new fork.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
DISCLAIMER: This is unofficial version that is provided as an early-feedback preview. It will be submitted for merge into Poor Maps proper and is not a permanent fork. This version is provided with the hope that it will be useful for you and to allow you to participate in the development through feedback, patches, and other possible means. /DISCLAIMER

I have prepared GL changes for merging with Poor Maps proper. As a part of these preparations, a new version of Poor Maps GL has been released which should have all the changes that @otsaloma did for 0.34 release. So, the voice directions implementation is expected to be the same. I had to sync few things manually => there is always a chance for an odd mistake here or there.

I haven't tested it as much as I would like, but haven't encountered any bugs either. Hence I am releasing this work with the hope that more testers would help to iron out the bugs and give feedback regarding latest version with the voice directions from the upstream. Please let me know if you manage to test it via github issues (please report GL bugs https://github.com/rinigus/poor-maps until the planned fork will happen) or here.

Unless some critical bug will show up, I expect it to be the last version of Poor Maps GL and the next versions to be released by @otsaloma under new name, as he was planning. Enjoy!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Thanks for this great and free application!

After playing around a bit (no real driving test yet), I encountered the following questions:

(1) Why are there so few types in "Nearby venues"?

I miss especially:
  • parking
  • playground (in OsmAnd categorie "leisure")
  • public toilets (in OsmAnd categorie "tourism")
  • pharmacy / hospital / doctor (in OsmAnd categorie "healthcare")

Could those be easily added?

(2) I can easily add points (blue circles) to the map, but I could not find a way to remove individual ones. The only way I know so far is "clear map" in the main menu, which deletes all points previously created.

Maybe you could add another button in den points context menu next to "Navigate", "Nearby" and "Share", which might be labeled "Remove".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ralooyar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ralooyar View Post
You can type in anything you like, the included few are just some common examples. Note that the default Foursquare provider doesn't list and review places like toilets or parking lots, so for those, you'll need to use Nominatim, or OSM Scout if you're using that, and with those the search is a lot more strict about the terminology.

(2) I can easily add points (blue circles) to the map, but I could not find a way to remove individual ones. The only way I know so far is "clear map" in the main menu, which deletes all points previously created.

Maybe you could add another button in den points context menu next to "Navigate", "Nearby" and "Share", which might be labeled "Remove".
Nope, no room, will not add. There is a plan to at some point allow saving POIs and this will come under review then.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:

I miss especially:
  • parking
  • playground (in OsmAnd categorie "leisure")
  • public toilets (in OsmAnd categorie "tourism")
  • pharmacy / hospital / doctor (in OsmAnd categorie "healthcare")

Could those be easily added?
Few notes if you want to use it with OSM Scout Server: in addition to type, the names of POIs are searched for the term that you enter into nearby as "Type". The same is done by other engines, if the memory serves me right.

The types that you list seem to be OSM tags and are imported for search engine of OSM Scout Server. However, so far, I have been dropping the POIs without a name. So, parking will be listed only if it has a name (same issue with toilets). This should be probably improved, I'll have to think how. If some tag is missing in OSM Scout Server, let me know by filing an issue at github. Then we can look into it together.

Info regarding available tags: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tags with the list of many of them at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
You can type in anything you like, the included few are just some common examples.
Thanks, I thought the "Search" input box was only for filtering the listed types. But you can enter the desired POI type there...

Maybe you could add the String "Search history:" between the search input box and the search history list.

----

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
...However, so far, I have been dropping the POIs without a name. So, parking will be listed only if it has a name (same issue with toilets). This should be probably improved, I'll have to think how. If some tag is missing in OSM Scout Server, let me know by filing an issue at github. Then we can look into it together. ...
Thanks for this hint! This might explain, why some POIs are missing. I will file an issue at GitHub. (-> https://github.com/rinigus/osmscout-server/issues/228)

Last edited by ralooyar; 2017-12-30 at 21:19. Reason: Added answer to another post in this thread.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ralooyar For This Useful Post: