Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
What I am wondering about is what happens after these "batches" have shipped out, is there a possibility for someone who is not a backer to order one later, maybe next year or whenever?

Will it be possible to buy one thru a webshop or corner store somewhere?

As I stated previously it is quite a big investment to buy one now; but who knows, maybe some year it happens that I'll have enough money to do that.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
... I am seriously considering buying a spare...
I would also buy at least some keyboards before they are out of stock if it happens the keys become transparent like on the N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Trzyzet View Post
... I am ready to give at least £50 if other people agree with me.
As of the time of this (my) post, you have 12 "Thank you"s. Does that equate to £650?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibero For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What I am wondering about is what happens after these "batches" have shipped out [...].

Will it be possible to buy one [...]?

[...] it is quite a big investment to buy one now[...]
Yes, expect the Pro1 (including minor revisions) to remain for sale ... Unless Fxtec folds, or gets some new 'angle fund' for a Pro2 investment.
Manufacturing the Pro1 was/is no less a big investment. Spreading this investment over as many units as possible is what makes that investment all the more worthwhile.
Don't forget that the Pro1 seems - to me - to be Fxtec's present (and in near future) sole source of income.

Minimum batch sizes are small compared to what they used to be. Keeping the Pro1 for sale thus only demands for a (relatively) small additional investment.

From the buyer's investment point of view.
The Pro1 allows for running (quasi) open-source OSes and is - from what I've read - quality built. The only remaining 'daily' hurdles for a nice long-term investment spread are taking care of our precious one and battery replacement (in service centres?).
Any confirmation of the latter remains appreciated.

Last edited by AardDevil; 2020-01-18 at 14:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AardDevil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AardDevil View Post
...The only remaining 'daily' hurdles for a nice long-term investment spread are taking care of our precious one and battery replacement (in service centres?).
Any confirmation of the latter remains appreciated.
Let's become service centres ourselves!
Same question, I thought Pro1 batt was replaceable like on the n900. I must have mixed with the Librem.
But without joke, I think it must be possible.
Less sure about backup battery though.

images from:
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...1&postcount=64
https://liliputing.com/2019/10/fxtec...in-a-week.html
Attached Images

Last edited by ric9K; 2020-01-18 at 20:58.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
Let's become service centres ourselves!
Same question, I thought Pro1 batt was replaceable like on the n900. I must have mixed with the Librem.
But without joke, I think it must be possible.
Less sure about backup battery though.
Chen/Fxtec did highlight that the battery of Pro1 is replaceable, but not so easily that you'd be able to swap batteries during the day, as you can do with N900. Haven't yet heard of available spare parts though, but Fxtec seems to be busy enough fulfilling preorders at the moment.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Regarding Maemo Leste, I am planning to attend FOSDEM this year. If someone can introduce me to founder of Maemo Leste I can leave my unit to him. :-)

The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Niccce.

Will you be there for the sfos community dinner on saturday (01.02.) organised by Nokius?
It will be hard to fit into my shedule and i was like 50/50 about going.
But no way now i am missing out on meeting you again
Made my day.

EDIT @olf and all from rhine region, Thaodan is already with me and i have 2-3 more seats left.
Going early saturday morning, (me) leaving same day after community dinner.

Last edited by mosen; 2020-01-19 at 11:56.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Regarding Maemo Leste, I am planning to attend FOSDEM this year. If someone can introduce me to founder of Maemo Leste I can leave my unit to him. :-)
Wow, for people doubting Chen's commitment to maemo here he is giving a boost the Leste team with what may turn out to be one of their fastest devices for testing!

Good on you Chen!

Can wait for the fruits of this gesture.

Originally Posted by Wizzup_ View Post
(Someone on IRC pointed me here).
Yupper that was me :P. just add the "a" and you have the same nick

Just super excited about this.

Last edited by xman; 2020-01-19 at 16:44.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
(Someone on IRC pointed me here).

Wouldn't claim to be the founder (I think that would be freemangordon), but I am one of the main devs, and I will be giving a talk at FOSDEM about Maemo Leste: https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/smartphones/ - so FOSDEM might indeed be a good moment to pass that along.

Parazyd will be there too, freemangordon probably won't be, I think?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Wizzup_ For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit