Active Topics

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
An other solution is to use python and pygtk
how would this make proprietary drivers obsolete or give you a new window manager/user interface?

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted by roadranger View Post
I think there would be more work done on apps if there was a truely open OS. The browser is the biggest issue - personally I'd rather not have flash (I have it turned off), java and microsoft's active whatever on my machine but I know many of you couldn't do without . I should look up what the "real" linux distros are using? I haven't tried minimo(sp? the ported browser app)
but suspect it would do what I need .
I'm not quite getting your connection between Opera and the fact that there aren't "more work done on apps". I don't see how Opera being on there has anything to do with the open source stuff. I understand that there has been some frustration because not the entire OS is open, but a majority of the OS is. The fact that there is some proprietary stuff on there shouldn't stop people from developing apps. I guess I'd like to hear other's opinions on this.

The reality is that some part of what Nokia ships on the tablet is going to be proprietary - they need some sort of edge. If you ran a business, would you want to give all of your competitors essentially a "free ride"?

As a side note I actually have tried Minimo, and while it's a good effort at a port I think it's still definitely beta quality. Not nearly as polished as Opera.

Originally Posted by roadranger View Post
Biggest problem is that they often need to be re-ported when Nokia changes their hardware or "upgrades" the firmware so why expend the effort when there isn't a "stable" platform to work with?
I see what you are saying here about needing a stable platform. That's supposedly promised for a future version. But do apps really need to be re-ported on hardware/firmware upgrades? Again I would like hear others' opinions on this.