Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Using an Eee 901 since last two weeks and after this time I think this was the mini PC what I expect from a N810:
100% full browser, 100% favourite apps, 100% my favourite Linux distribution, 100% playing my personal video stuff (VGA videos from digicam and N82), 5h with Wifi on, 7h with Wifi off, great keyboard and I can install what I want.
I'm not sell my N810 (I think it has a future till mid/end 2009) but I use it less than before the 901.

I can take the 901 like N810 because if I'm away, I have 99% a bag with me. A 901 does fit in this bag easily

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Too big!!!

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Nothing personal, but it seems you wanted a 901 in the first place. The two devices are very different and they have their target auditories. I bought a 1000H (which i like more than 901), but i don't use my N800 less than before. To illustrate that - i'm writing this while i drink my beer in a local pizzeria.

Can you you install VNC Server on this system?

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
The eee is neat, but it won't fit in my pocket.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I might really want a 901 too, but they were hard to find in January 2007 when I bought my N800.

As it is I am having more fun than ever with Window Maker on my tablet.

I agree, both devices serve different needs. I'm on my EEE 900 right now typing this, and use it as my mini full workstation laptop.
However, it can't replace my N810 that fits in my pocket for quick web browsing, email, or music/video on the go.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Nothing personal, but it seems you wanted a 901 in the first place. The two devices are very different and they have their target auditories. I bought a 1000H (which i like more than 901), but i don't use my N800 less than before. To illustrate that - i'm writing this while i drink my beer in a local pizzeria.
It's ok, possible you're right.

I wrote my 1st post outside my home too. My bagpack is always with me (phone, tobacco, papers, bottle with water, ...) and an Eee 901 fits easily in my bagpack.

does it run VNC
It does run a lot more than a N8x0 because of the x86 architecture. Every usual app you have on your desktop Linux PC does work with an Eee.

But I don't sell N810 because of Carman.

And I think Eee helps me to get more out of my N810. This winter I do finally PyGTK programming. Notebook is the developer machine, Eee will be the test lab and then I can transfer it to N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to slha89 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Interesting article on linuxdevices.com talking about MID'S "More than a year later, though, the only MID to achieve any real marketshare remains Nokia's Linux-based N-series Internet tablets, he says, which ironically appeared before Intel "invented" the category, and do not use Intel processors." Basically it talked about netbooks like the Eee 901 are going to be winners because out of Intels many tries they hit the right price point / feature.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
that would be this article:
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3067196119.html

that seems to be mostly a summary of this blog entry:
http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/08/29...e-the-netbook/

and funny enough, that entry claims the iphone killed the mid before the mid even got to market...

what is it with people and the iphone being the ultimate device?
(i was going to say "final solution" but then i would be invoking godwin for no reason)

its like ones apple comes out with something then everyone else should just pack up their stalls and go home, the king have arrived and nobody can beat the king...

i guess its that attitude (apple cant be beaten) that irks me more then the products themselves. because the products themselves are "me to" at best, with a pricing thats more often premium then not. so cheering the products on because its from the "cant loose" brand, just makes the geek in me give up on humanity...

err, sorry about the rant...

Last edited by tso; 2008-08-31 at 13:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post: