Notices

How long will i have to wait for nimbuzz for my N900 ? Miss such a good program - some say soon ? and now it's 2011 ;( but nothing on the horizon yet ...

Nimbuzz - probably never.

Originally Posted by Reffyyyy View Post
Nimbuzz - probably never.
Sigh - don't say that ! They say on their blog that they are going to implement it soon - but no dates as to when

They probably stopped developing it shortly after Nokia dropped support for Maemo 5.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Doesn't the N900 already offer all the functionality that Nimbuzz would bring already?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JamesDownWell View Post
Doesn't the N900 already offer all the functionality that Nimbuzz would bring already?
Very true James - but Nimbuzz has it's goodies ! Between all my friends have it on their Nokia cells. Would it be possible to run it in a Java emulator ?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
nimbuzz was far more power efficient than the protocol soup implemented by the current N900 solutions because it could enable a single heartbeat connection between the Nimbuzz server and it's client. now with the new Notification API in Qt it's possible to build something similar in an generic way, a bit like the iPhone solution, but ours is better i think.

in fact, the people from nimbuzz have replaced the main network flow already already by the Notifications API, in a technology PoC, together with the guys from Forum Nokia, in a few hours time. So there is certainly lots of interest from them.

if they would build an Qt application, using this new API, then they could roll out now already and be perfectly prepared for Meego.

The Following User Says Thank You to Netweaver For This Useful Post:
So Netweaver - i will have to wait for Meego to come out to use Nimbuzz?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
they could do it now ... if they really want it. it might be they're just following along with the Meego development and guessing if and when Meego is going to be a commercial success.

Somewhere during this process they'll hopefully see the light. They were already investigating/writing a native N900 version but it got canned, looking at the bad support the N900 was getting. Also the less than stellar sales figures and the step4outof5 thing... Maybe also Nokia helped them a bit, remember Instinctiv
Nimbuzz already had a native symbian application, so no pressure there.

Heck, if they made a Qt version now, it could also be used on every Linux desktop ... as well as on the recent symbian models. great unifier.... 3 OS families in one go ! but bleeding edge

Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
they could do it now ... if they really want it. it might be they're just following along with the Meego development and guessing if and when Meego is going to be a commercial success.

Somewhere during this process they'll hopefully see the light. They were already investigating/writing a native N900 version but it got canned, looking at the bad support the N900 was getting. Also the less than stellar sales figures and the step4outof5 thing... Maybe also Nokia helped them a bit, remember Instinctiv
Nimbuzz already had a native symbian application, so no pressure there.

Heck, if they made a Qt version now, it could also be used on every Linux desktop ... as well as on the recent symbian models. great unifier.... 3 OS families in one go ! but bleeding edge
That's so sad to know that they canned the version they were working on ! They could just release it as Beta or something. How much will i have to wait - there's just so much potential for this phone - and people ignore it so plainly ! Now i have to look forward to Meego 1.2

Tags
cry baby, pointless